Author Topic: William Beer Turnbull - goldsmith - my brick wall for 2012!  (Read 4577 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
William Beer Turnbull - goldsmith - my brick wall for 2012!
« on: Friday 30 December 11 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace any further information for William Beer Turnbull in the hopes that I may be able to confirm who his parents were.

The information I have is as follows:

He married Margaret Church on 4 May 1822 at St Martin's in the Fields Westminster By Banns.  Witnesses Robert Francis Gavelly and Sarah Phillips. Per Bishop's transcripts. awas buried on 26 December 1836 in Westminster Age 41 per http://pilot.familysearch.org.

Baptism records of St Peter's Walworth per London England Births and Baptisms 1813 - 1906 on Ancestry record that William Joseph Turnbull son of William Beer Turnbull and Margaret was bp 27.8.1837 . Family abode St. Martin's in the Fields. Father deceased.

The baptism record of his daughter Margaret Ann on 26 Feb 1823 at Holborn St Giles in The Fields, states that her father William Beer Turnbull is a goldsmith of New Compton Street.  On 17 March 1824 when son William Beer Turnbull is baptised at the same church his father is shown as a goldsmith of Duke Street but when the same son is buried in 1825 his abode is given as Angel Court.

I cannot find a baptism for daughter Emma born 1826, she appears on the census but may actually be
son Esmond John Turnbull who was baptised on16 May 1826 at Holborn St Giles in The Fields, abode given as Angel Court. Father William Beere Turnbull, goldsmith, mother Margaret.

On 22 July 1831 another son Charles Thacker Turnbull was baptised at Holborn St Giles in The Fields,
Father William Turnbull, a goldsmith of 12 Duke's Court, St Martin in the fields. Mother Margaret.

The IGI shows William son of Elizabeth and James Turnbull bp 1803 Marylebone, siblings Eliza Mary 1806, Isabella 1809, James 1813 and Jane Alice 1815 and a marriage between James Turnbull and Elizabeth Crabb Beere in in 1792 but if this is him either he was 8 when he was baptised or the age given at death is wrong.

Most of the children give their father's profession on their marriage certificate as goldsmith, although one states that he was a jeweller.

Does anyone know whether goldsmiths had to be apprenticed and if so where the records would be? I have been unable to find him in any trade directories either.

Any help gratefully received - I have found so much information but got nowhere fast!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Beer Turnbull - goldsmith - my brick wall for 2012!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 11 17:53 GMT (UK) »
There's this 1795 baptism too:  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JW7G-FHW.

The register records that Jas Turbull was a "taylor".
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 December 11 18:02 GMT (UK) »
That looks awfully like my man.  Thank you very much!

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry this may be more confusing that helpful, I have found two entries, both in 1803 for the baptism of a William Turnbull.  One is to James as you have found, but the other is to Richard, also a Carpenter  :-\

Wells Street Scotch Church, Marylebone, London
Baptism entries for the children of Richard Turnbull, Carpenter & Hannah
Parish of Abode - St Mary's, Lambeth, London
William 6 February 1803
James 13 March 1804
And baptism entries for the children of James Turnbull, Carpenter & Elizabeth
at the same church
Parish of Abode St Pancras, London
William 16 October 1803
Parish of Abode : St Mary Le Bone, London
Eliza Mary 9 November 1806
Parish of Abode: St Mary Le Bone, London
Isabella 19 November 1809
James 22 August 1813
Jane Alice 19 Feb 1814
James's  occupation -  in the "Bankinghouse "

HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 January 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

James Turnbull, bachelor married Elizabeth Beer spinster on 22/07/1792 at Saint Luke Old Street,Finsbury,London.
Both were of the Parish.

Witnesses were A? Ritchie & E Dobson

Sharon

Sorry just saw that you had that marriage.
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 12 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both - repitition is never a problem and I didn't have the witnesses anyway.  I wonder whether there would be any records of William Beer Turnbull in view of the fact that he claims to have been a goldsmith.  I imagine he would have had to serve an apprenticeship?

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline 73tassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 June 12 11:40 BST (UK) »
William Beer Turnbull
christened 9-8-1795  St Giles, Cripplegate, London
Father James Mother Elizabeth
source film no 380208,380209 Family search

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 June 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information - I have contacted the goldsmiths and unfortunately drawn a blank but at least I have now gone another generation back with more certainty!