Author Topic: Seaton Sluice  (Read 1508 times)

Offline jacksgranny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seaton Sluice
« on: Friday 30 December 11 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone suggest the most likely church(es) that folks born/living in Seaton Sluice would use in the late 1700s and well into 1800s please?  I realise that it may have been down to personal preference whether they went north, south, or west, but I am wondering if anyone who has researched families from this area has noticed a trend, before I start trawling through the records of all of the likely churches.  The closest at that time seems to be Our Lady at Delaval.  I initially thought that this church was exclusive to the Hastings family but, having visited it to photograph headstones, it was clearly also used by locals.

Many thanks.
Pauline
HENDERSON (Borders/Northumb), MOFFAT (Borders), BELL (Lesbury/Longhoughton)
SCOTT, CLAVERING, GILHESPY, ROCHESTER, WEIGHTMAN, LOCKHART, BOWER, NEIL (Northumb), TEMPERLEY & ROBSON (Co.Durham), ATKINSON, SMITH, BROUGH, LOWTHER (Cumb), MOWAT & WARES (Caithness), plus loads of others.......

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seaton Sluice
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 December 11 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Seaton Sluice would have come under Earsdon and the Genuki site link below lists a great deal of useful information including churches.

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Earsdon/index.html
North East of England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 December 11 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

Following from what CF has said:

Seaton Sluice would have come under Earsdon and the Genuki site link below lists a great deal of useful information including churches.

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Earsdon/index.html

If you wish to browse the original Bishops Transcripts for Earsden, they are available from familysearch:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11761-175448-72?cc=1309819&wc=11540140

They only start in 1764 though.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 11 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Pauline,

In the era which concerns you, those of the Anglican faith would use the Parish Church of the parish in which they lived. A parish although mainly ecclesiastic was also the authority for additional issues such as security, poverty, road maintenance etc.

Each parish was comprised of a number of areas called " townships". The Parish of Earsdon was made up of eight such "townships". Seaton Sluice, once called  "Hartley Harbour" lay within the township of Hartley.

But your folk may have been of a different denomination. For example Hartley had a Presbyterian church from 1780s. Although there were no Roman Catholic churches adjacent to Seaton Sluice in 1700s, they could have travelled to North Shields or Newcastle.

Earsdon Parish was bordered by the Parishes of Horton, Cramlington, Longbenton and Tynemouth.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline jacksgranny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 11 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael, Gnu, and Candleflame

Many thanks for your responses.  Duh, how thick am I?   ::) 

This is a great reminder to start with the basics when beginning to research a new area.  Why did I not check Genuki first?  This led me straight to the marriage that I was seeking, and on to another generation back plus several baptisms, via Family Search.  All without leaving the house!

Thankfully, another lot of Anglicans, just to keep life simple.  I haven't had any non-Anglicans yet in my research, but thanks for the tips Michael. 

Many thanks for the link to the BTs, gnu, which provided extra info on the baptisms, even if a little laborious trawling through 35 years or so to get to the year that I wanted.  I have to confess that I haven't yet fully explored the new Family Search site.  Maybe I'm a stick-in-the-mud, but I quite liked the old site, limitations and all, and I don't find the new site very user-friendly.

All in all, a very successful posting, and many thanks once again for prompt and very helpful responses.

Pauline
HENDERSON (Borders/Northumb), MOFFAT (Borders), BELL (Lesbury/Longhoughton)
SCOTT, CLAVERING, GILHESPY, ROCHESTER, WEIGHTMAN, LOCKHART, BOWER, NEIL (Northumb), TEMPERLEY & ROBSON (Co.Durham), ATKINSON, SMITH, BROUGH, LOWTHER (Cumb), MOWAT & WARES (Caithness), plus loads of others.......