Author Topic: Charles William Garrett and family move from Canada to Australia 1901 - 05  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles William Garrett and family move from Canada to Australia 1901 - 05
« on: Saturday 31 December 11 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks

I am looking for some help to identify how my great grandfathers cousin, Charles William Garrett would have travelled from Canada to Australia with his family between 1901 and 1905. He had previously emigrated from England in the 1880's and settled in Canada where he and his sons had land grants near Moosomin in Saskatchewan.

At some point he decided to move on (after the death of his wife Jane Susan Garrett (nee McRae) in Saskatchewan in 1897), with some of his children Fred Campbell Garrett and Daisy Emily Garrett settling in the USA around Chicago where they married Martha Sticker and her brother Joseph Sticker (aka Sticka or Stika) respectively. Charles William Garrett's sons Charles William Garrett, Walter Henry Garrett (and his wife Mary Elizabeth nee Kirpkpatrick), Arthur Ernest Garrett and daughter Lucy Gertrude Garrett moved to Australia with their father Charles William Garrett. I believe some stayed in Australia while Charles William Garrett (senior) and some of his children moved on to the North Island of New Zealand where he eventually died in 1917.

I have been looking on Ancestry (I have a world wide subscription) but can not find passenger lists for shipping between Canada and Australia or New Zealand. 

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Best wishes and a Happy New Year  :)

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William Garrett and family move from Canada to Australia 1901 - 05
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

If you are using the immigration indexes on Ancestry just go to "Immigration and Travel", then "Passenger Lists" and make sure you have selected Australian in the collection criteria.  Then just enter your surname and arrival years.

A Mr C.W. GARRETT and Miss L. GARRETT arrived in Sydney on the Miowera from Vancouver on 15 December 1902.

Debra  :)