Author Topic: East to Mahon  (Read 5238 times)

Offline stozers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: East to Mahon
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Mary

Thanks for your reply.

You have been helpful to me previously in this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,541486.msg3972072.html#msg3972072

Since that time I have made slight progress and learnt more about the Irish side of things. Recently I received copies of the wills of William Prittie Harris and his son Richard Harris who both lived at Lakeview, Blackrock. The wills refer to Lands of Mahon that are bequeathed. I think previously I hadn't differentiated between Cork and Blackrock. I'm learning a little.

In another thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,567873.msg4201211.html#msg4201211

I was made aware of the geography. A lot of names that appear in my family seem to have congregated around Mahon - Prittie, Crofts, Hall, Maylor, MacNamara.

So after all that, I'll leave it your judgement. I'd be grateful for your help and advice. Taking note of the names above do you think it would be worthwhile pursuing the book further.

Regards

suds

hi mary i heard there is a list of family names in that book that are in temple hill grave yard i'm trying to find my grandfathers grave could you check for me his name is stephen daniel o mahony thank you

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Had a look at Richard Henchion's book and he has one full chapter ( three pages ) on
Templehill cemetery.  He has listed a lot of surnames but unfortunately no O'Mahony surnames. 

Templehill is an ancient cemetery and really small.  I have visited and photographed most of the headstones.  Sometimes it is called Ballintemple cemetery.

When did your ancestor die?  Did you think of looking up the local newspapers at that time to see if there was a death notice giving the cemetery details?  Otherwise if you had the exact date of death you could try contacting some of the cemetery supervisors who might be able to help you.   

St Michaels cemetery Blackrock is quite recent - opened in 1960 approx as far as I know.

You could try St Josephs Tory Top Road, or St Finbarrs Glasheen Road.

Mary
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline stozers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 21:56 GMT (UK) »
he died in 1956 have no date w'ere fairly sure he's there but might be in his mothers grave and don't know her name my dad was very young when ne died and doesn't know much about his dads family we have contacted st micheals and he isn't there. thank you stozers

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 January 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi Stozers,

Are you living anywhere near Blackrock that you might be able to go and have a look at
the headstones?

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Offline stozers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 January 12 10:34 GMT (UK) »
yeah going to try and go down at theweekend the problem is the grave is prob in my greatgrand mothers maiden name and we don't know it. so going to try and get a hold of my grand fathers birthcert so i can find her maiden name we do know his date of death now so hopefully that will help thanks for your help

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 January 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »

That's good, if you know his exact date of death you could go to the library - either the Cork City library or the Cork County library near the County Hall and look up the Examiner or the Evening Echo newspapers on the microfiche.  You would need to book a microfiche before you go.

Good luck
Mary
Celtic Liberty