Author Topic: Laphen / Laffan marries Jordan 1875  (Read 9505 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Laphen / Laffan marries Jordan 1875
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 11:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas Jordan on this Griffiths Valuation who is farming in Esker which is just beside Clara and Ballycumber !!

www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/offaly/lemanaghan.php

Also on ifhf/rootsireland there is a Joseph Jordan born in 1851 in County Offaly to a Thomas Jordan and baptised in the parish of Clara, County Offaly.

Tara

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful thank you Tara!!

How did you view the rootsireland data ?  It appears that i would need to pay 5 euro per view. Is that right ?  How did you get the details of his father  etc?

kind regards

barbara

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 12:22 GMT (UK) »
You can add father's name to the search on RootsIreland... but you have to pay to see the transcript of the baptism. It's best to narrow down your search to the individual parish if you can. To do this make sure you are in the county section of RootsIreland - i.e. Offaly

If it's an RC baptism the record should usually include full names for both parents, and possibly two sponsors / godparents

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Yes, Shane is right !

There was only one Joseph Jordan baptised in County Offaly on ifhf. Then it said he was born in 1851. Then I added on father Thomas and it still came up as a match. Then I went into the parishes and added in Clara and it still came up as a match, and yes it was a RC record.

Sounds like a good match to me - fingers crossed !

Tara

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I think it is it - to be honest it was a bit of an anti climax!! Its the first time I have bought a record from RootsIreland I had expected a scanned image of the record but there isnt one. Also there is no extra information - other than the mothers name 'C Haly' - her name is Catherine so that fits.  Not sure if Haly is Healy ???  No sponsors either given.

But I now have the date of birth and the mothers maiden name - a good days work ;-)

thank you so much for your help

Barbara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 21:15 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Thomas Jordan and Catherine Haly MAY have originated in GALWAY.

I found a Thomas Jordan and Catherine Haly getting married in GALWAY in 1844. This county is nowhere near Offaly - maybe they were originally from Galway and for some reason moved to Offaly to farm - or maybe it's not them at all just coincidental names.

They had a daughter called Catherine Jordan born 1844 in Galway too again may not be the same family but MAY be worth you investigating.

Yes, it's a pain that the details on rootsireland are transcribed but you must remind yourself that many a time I would have LOVED to be able to track down ANY records pre 1864 LOL!!

Tara

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Just bought the record - Assuming it is them ( there are no other matches) it doesn't show any parents names unfortunately but what is interesting is that he was a soldier with the 69th regiment. So not clear at all where he was from.

Hopefully I can find out something about the army at that time -  such as was it likely he was local or would he have travelled?

Curious that within 7 years they are in Offaly. Such a bad time in Irish history too.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 08:50 GMT (UK) »
The fact that the marriage record includes an occupation would suggest to me that it could be Church of Ireland .. was the baptism of Joseph RC ?

Not all parish records for the 1840s survive or are available on-line .. so no guarantee a marriage record for your Thomas Jordan is available..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane

It was Rahoon Roman Catholic Church.

Tara