Author Topic: BOWDEN Family Exeter  (Read 7210 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOWDEN Family Exeter
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 January 15 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Tony
How did you go with the Bowdens?  Today I have somehow smashed a brick wall in family research and have ended up with another wall to climb:
A Mary Bowden who subsequently married a William Henry Warren in 1831 (St Edmunds, Exeter, heavily pregnant), lived in South Street, Exeter and had 6 children in Exeter (baptised Holy Trinity generally) between 1831 & 1833.  She claims on 1841 and 1851 census to have been born in Cullompton in abt 1800/1801.  I am unable to find Mary and hubby in 1861 census.  By 1871 she is dead as William is a widow.  At least three of the children end up in Australia, one naming his residence "Bowden" in Bendigo, Victoria.
I have searched high and low for a Mary Bowden baptised in and around Cullompton in the right timeframe.  The only father having children baptised (1797-1809) appears to be a David Bowden ..... and his Mary seems to be too young to be mine (1809).
The only David Bowden marriage I can find is to the Friday Fry in 1795 in Culmstock (and this couple baptises a Jenny Bowden in Culmstock in 1795 about 15 days after the marriage).  I have seen 1841 & 1851 censuses of David and Faith Bowden (as opposed to Friday).
Was doing random google searches and came across your post about Bowdens .... so wondered how you have progressed.
Maybe your dots somehow link my dots?
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline davidtdmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 22 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, Cocksie
Please let me know if you find
anything. I'm going down the same tracks in April that you were going down in January.
My ancestor was the blushing bride!
Cheers
David

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 April 22 15:15 BST (UK) »
As a Bowden myself, I can say that it's not the easiest family to research, because it's not the rarest of names in Devon (and Cornwall). I suspect that the name is borne by several unrelated families, and I don't recognize any of the people mentioned in this thread. Until recently my great-great-great grandfather Ambrose Bowden (1750–1822), of Cawsand -- just in Cornwall -- was the earliest Bowden anyone could find. However, someone in the Cornwall section of RootsChat drew attention to the Parish Records for Cornwall (https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/) and they allowed me to find that Ambrose Bowden was the son of Ambrose Bowden, the son of Ambrose Bowden, the son of Ambrose Bowden. All of these Ambroses lived in Cornwall, but all of the most recent Bowdens lived, or were at least based, in Devon.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline davidtdmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 April 22 15:23 BST (UK) »
Well, somebody born in Cullompton called Mary Bowden seems to be off the radar for the moment.
Incidentally,  have you noticed how many people are attatching Mary Bowden to a different J F Warren, born of convicts in Tasmania?!

Offline ashton

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 April 22 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi  I have a Mary Bowden who married into my family.  William Mayne (1803) married Ann Bowden (1814)  in St: Mary Steps Exeter in 1834,   they had 8 children    My Ann Bowden was born Dolton Devon.   They lived in Exeter until their deaths. 

For more info: ifrequired please contact me on

c.n.mayne@btinternet.com

regards
Nick.
Colwill    Mayne    Mallett     Wonnacott   All Devon
Draisey   Draysey    All Counties
Clements     Somerset
Alderson   Yorkshire and Westmorland

Offline davidtdmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 22 15:42 BST (UK) »
Athel_cb might find that useful.

My Mary Bowden was born in 1800, and i think she must be hiding on this page, Cullompton births C1800.
  https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Cullompton/CullomptonBaptisms1798
I did a search on 1800 on that page, and a few Mary B's are there- -just not Bowden

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 April 22 13:30 BST (UK) »
How about Mary Ann Bowden, daughter of Frances and Jane, baptised at Bickleigh 11 Dec 1803, born 8 Nov 1803. Only a couple of miles from Cullompton and adjacent to Thorverton where William Warren was born. Also Mary and William had a son Francis and a daughter Frances.

David

Offline davidtdmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 April 22 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, David.
David here.
Thanks very much for that.
It's odd that nobody else has come up with that in the trees in which Mary appears - which are legion.
Are you saying that you ..ah, I see you're pointing to the iteration of the name Francis/Frances.
Francis did very well for himself here in Melbourne - He was a landlord of over 100 houses in Port Melbourne C1900.
Cheers.
David

Offline davidtdmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 April 22 18:23 BST (UK) »
A Francis Bowden married Jane Beer in Tiverton in 1802