Author Topic: ON Stone, Allcock, Sykes, Charlton  (Read 7461 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ON Stone, Allcock, Sykes, Charlton
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Here's one to contact to whom you'll be a big help if he still can b econtacted through the older email. Not sure if he is actually related or not, though...
http://genforum.genealogy.com/allcock/messages/235.html

Thread on Beatrice Valentine Allcock -awe she was born Valentine's day! ( altho marriage info has wrong mother without correction, you may be able to aid this bunch as well)  :
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CAN-ONT-YORK/2006-01/1136287888
I take it Ethelbert J. from the censuses later used his middle name John? Noted that the site R.K. found had Beatrice as Patrice... ( We need to mention these other versions of the names so as to be found when searching...)
Now see that he was born John so will include his birth information under a different middle name John Polycarp Allcock...Perhaps he had four names...another may added at a religious ceremony...

and not to worry, all this online information will bring many descendants over time.... :) J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 January 12 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi bobbiL,

If you think another Allcock died in the war, here is another site to check...and you thought it was done...lol.

http://www.cwgc.org/

JDC

Hi to thee, JDC
I did try the csgc link above but so far have not found any Allcocks. I can try other surnames and will.

Genealogy is like housework and gardening. It's never done.

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 January 12 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much replying and passing along that info, Polar Bear. I would like to know the cause of death, please. I appreciate your discretion.

I believe, the Jessie Allcock who reported the death was Hubert's sister-in-law, Jessie Ware Allcock, married to his brother, Joseph.

Thanks to the folks who are replying to this thread, more and more of the puzzle pieces are being found.

Thank you for the cause of death, Polar Bear.

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 January 12 02:39 GMT (UK) »
J. J., I appreciate your reply.

I would be delighted to be able to help someone with what I know about Hubert and the family. I sent an email to the poster and hope to hear. The problem with this kind of thing is that so often the email gets changed and not updated. Fingers crossed that I'll hear. I'll let you know the outcome here.

Beatrice Valentine Allcock born on Valentine's Day. I wonder how she felt about her name. I think she moved to the U.S., Michigan to be specific. However, I haven't found her death. She and her husband, James Frederick Wilbur, had four children in the 1920's. I found her on a border-crossing record with some of her children.

I don't know what happened regarding the name Adair on the marriage announcement, unless (horrors!) it's a transcription error. It happens to the best of us. Although my Allcocks are not related to Rev. Rose, it appears that the poster is related to the Wilbur family and I replied to her, again with my fingers crossed.

Beatrice's brother John.....what a mess. I'm wondering if one of his brothers answered the census taker and had a little fun with John's name. Ethelbert or Polycarp. Neither is a name I'd have chosen. Apologies to all you Ethelberts and Polycarps out there. I guess I'll try to find another document or source for best two out of three. Just kidding, of course.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 January 12 03:42 GMT (UK) »
PM sent.

Allcock seems to be a relatively uncommon name in Toronto. I think there are only 8 in the white pages at this link that jdc gave you earlier. Just put in Allcock and Toronto. Contact info is provided. Perhaps a letter or 3 might turn up a rellie?

http://www.canada411.ca/

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 January 12 04:59 GMT (UK) »
John may have been named after an ancestor or an important relative....A few Polycarp Allcock on the FHS site and FreeBmd
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 January 12 05:25 GMT (UK) »
I believe, the Jessie Allcock who reported the death was Hubert's sister-in-law, Jessie Ware Allcock, married to his brother, Joseph.

Jessie Ware Allcock died March 8, 1944 at St. Joseph's hospital.  She was the wife of Joseph R. Allcock of 72 Fermanagh Ave.  No children or other relatives are named.  She was to be buried at Prospect cemetery.   You can see the obit at the Toronto Star pagesofthepast site (link posted previously), March 10th 1944 edition, page 24.  Her full name here is Jessie Elizabeth Ware Allcock.    Joseph survived her.   

http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/pre-planning/cemeteries/properties/p

RK :)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 January 12 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In your initial post, you said that Ralph Leo Allcock and his family moved to the US...  I don't think that they all did.  His wife's obit in the Toronto Star, Jan 7 1965, page 38.  She died on Jan 4th.  It says she had lived in Port Credit, Ontario.  Her husband predeceased her.  She is buried in St. Mary's cemetery - the funeral was at St. Mary's Church in Port Credit, so I assume this is the attached cemetery.  There are some children listed in the obit - so more relatives to find.  Only one lived in the US, the rest were in Canada.  You can see them in the obit on the pagesofthepast site. 

RK    :)

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 January 12 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.J.

I have received an answer from the link you provided and discovered not a relative but someone who is interested in the fly-fishing industry and the Allcocks. He has info on Hubert and we will be comparing notes. Thanks for the link to him. I think it will be mutually beneficial, which is always nice.

It appears that Polycarp was the name of the father of Samuel Allcock who was the head of Allcock's Fishing Tackle company in Redditch, Worcestershire. It may be that John was named afther him. My new fishing-tackle contact gave me that info. He thinks Hubert was the great-nephew of Samuel.

Hubert's father was John Allcock per Hubert's marriage license, but I don't have a father for John.

I will check out the Polycarps you mentioned and see if any list Samuel as a child and also who else is mentioned. This might be where the often-seen Allcock name of Hubert comes into play.

So the link you provided looks promising. Thanks again.

"Noted that the site R.K. found had Beatrice as Patrice"  I believe that was a misinterpretation by the census taker and then transcribed that way...her real name was Beatrice.

Bobbi