Author Topic: ON Stone, Allcock, Sykes, Charlton  (Read 7451 times)

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ON Stone, Allcock, Sykes, Charlton
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 07 January 12 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

After a day at the nearest Family History Centre, I'm still unable to find the relationship between Polycarp, Sylvester, Samuel, and John Allcock with some kind of proof. I found an elderly Polycarp living with Sylvester but still looking to see how Sylvester, Samuel and John connect.

I have bits and pieces of things with the Allcocks in Canada, the UK and the US and hope to be able to put them together. Conflicting information also has to be resolved.

I'll be working with the cemeteries in Ontario also.

As I prove or learn anything, I'll let all you helpful people know what's happened. I could never have reached such a point of having information and leads without you. What a boost to my searches you have been! Thank you so much.

Not saying "goodbye" so if you do find anything else, please let me know. I'll continue to check here.

Gratefully, Bobbi L

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 07 January 12 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Possibly helpful - if you don't already have this:
http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/VintageRods_AllcocksTheCompany.asp

Looks like Polycarp married 3 times.  His son Samuel had daughters, so no more Allcocks there.  Perhaps the other Allcocks you are looking for a Polycarp's sons by other wives? 

This is interesting about Samuel, son of Polycarp:
http://www.archive.org/stream/shortbiographies00brow#page/n17/mode/2up/search/allcock

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 07 January 12 00:49 GMT (UK) »
You might want to check out this thread - perhaps some people to contact re: Allcock family:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/allcock/messages/171.html

RK

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 07 January 12 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, RunKitty! That is an incredible website, chock full of the progression of fly-fishing equipment. It would be very interesting even if I weren't distantly related to Samuel. As a child, my grandpa took me fishing at Lake Erie before all the predator fish took over and also in inland streams. I had to bait the hook myself or I couldn't go.

It appears that Polycarp had quite a complex marital history. I'm not sure where the father of John Allcock fits in. John may be the son of Sylvester who was a brother of Samuel but I have no proof of that yet. It would seem that Sylvester would have been older than Samuel, since Samuel was was the youngest child of the third marriage. It boggles the mind, but maybe Polycarp married more than three time?

There are a ton of John Allcocks in Redditch through the years.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 07 January 12 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi BobbiL,

Hope you get them all together. I'm sure you'll tackle this well and get them all fly tied in no time :-)

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 07 January 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the encouragement, JDC. Fly-tied indeed. I'd settle for hog-tied. Then I could get them set where they belong.

What a long, strange trip it's been. I think I'll be forced to create a spreadsheet to keep them sorted.

No complaints. I'm delighted to have material to work with. I certainly have been busy. And as my Dad would say when he gave me a chore to do "This will keep you (meaning me) out of the pool hall." Since I didn't play pool, I never figured out why he said that. It might be that was something he heard as a youngster.

"tackle this well and get them all fly tied in no time" loved the pun :-)

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 07 January 12 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link, RunKitty. I've tried emailing those I could. Some disconnects and some have not replied. Fingers crossed once again.

I have found a lead. A John Allcock on the 1871 census has a son Hubert b. 1849. John's wife was Jane Harris. I know this because her mother, Ann Harris, appeared with them on the census.

I went to FreeBMD and found each of them listed separately as being married in March 1847, two years before Hubert's birth, with the marriage registration in Bromsgrove in Worcestershire. If I can find the marriage record, it may show John's father.

I have Allcocks on the brain and am sorting them out as I fall asleep at night.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 08 January 12 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi bobbiL,

Yw, thought u might enjoy the comment :-) Depending on the number of people you are tracing, spreadsheets can be hard to work with. You may want to consider a free family free software to start such as Legacy or PAF for windows. If your into Linux, GRAMPS is software is a good one that has been developed for that OS. There is one for the Mac, but I don't remember its name at the moment. Who knows you may become a genealogy addict, if not already...hehe.

Cheers, JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 19 January 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi JDC,

I do have a software program that I use. It is RootsMagic, and I like it a lot. Each program seems to have features that I'd like to have. Most of the differences seem to be in the Reports functions and what they do or do not produce.

I was thinking of spreadsheets for comparing data on people with the same name who are in the same area and close in age.

I haven't gotten around to it, yet, though.

I am definitely addicted to genealogy. There just doesn't seem enough time to explore all the surnames and resources that I'd like to.