Author Topic: ON Stone, Allcock, Sykes, Charlton  (Read 7448 times)

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ON Stone, Allcock, Sykes, Charlton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 January 12 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello JDC, thank you for your helpful comments. No, I do not have anything on Ancestry. I want to have all my ducks in a row before I put anything on there. I will take a look at what you found on Ancestry. It's been a while since I checked there. The main problem with Ancestry is that the links to the poster are often outdated. But hope springs eternal!

Yes, John Harold is a relative, and the Stone family did live in Buffalo for a period of time. I did not have that reference, however. Is there a link to what you found that you could give me, please? I believe that John Harold was in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces.

I will try all your good suggestions, including the Canada411. I am in the U.S., and while I'd love to come to the Toronto Library, a visit to Canada is not in my foreseeable future. I have been there as a youngster, and it is beautiful.

Please continue to share your helpful suggestions. I think I am the only one doing any kind of genealogy work on these families, and it helps so much to get ideas from those in the area. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 January 12 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You can check for WW1 records at the Library and Archives Canada site.  You will see the Attestation Papers, front and back.  Then, there will be a link that explains how to order a complete military file.. if you wish.   

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php

The War Diaries are also on this site.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/020152_e.html

The Toronto Star pages of the past site is a great resource.  It is searchable by both name and date.  Its search capabilities are not 100 percent though, and sometimes a name search won't turn up what you seek.  For example, I couldn't find Hubert A.'s death via a name search. I found him via a date search... having found the date on a family tree online.   Sometimes a name search yields way too many "hits" that are NOT what you want and you have to search by exact phrase - hoping that the obit is written in the paper as "last name, first name".   Once you get the hang of it, you will be fine.   You can download, print and save right from the site...

As for JDC's suggestion about the Toronto Public Library and Directories..  I don't think JDC meant that you had to go in person :) :).  The Toronto Public Library has an "Ask a Librarian" feature on their site.  If you would like a librarian to check a couple of years for you in the directories, they will.   You can make your request by e-mail.   

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/ask-a-librarian/

RK     

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 January 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Run Kitty. I'll look up the CEF papers and see what I can find. The leads from you and JDC are a great help and will keep me busy for a while. I'll continue to check here and touch base with you both and will report my findings. I'm hopeful there will be "findings."
Bobbi L.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Howdi again bobbiL,

Kitty has given you the link to the National Archive. There is a wealth of info on that site. Here is the link for John's CEF attestation doc:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=254779&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=vnrpklqpnh19ufjqla9i6su367.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, JDC, for the link to the papers. That helps a lot. I've gone to the site and found navigating it rather intimidating. I appreciate being able to get right to the documents. And I appreciate your kindness and that of RunKitty to a new person like myself. Your help has encouraged me to persevere in finding more on my Canadian relatives.
Bobbi

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi BobbiL,

I am glad to hear that Kitty & I have encouraged you to further trace your family in Canada. It will take a bit of perserverance at times, but well worth it :-)

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi JDC and RunKitty,

I went to the CEF site and did indeed find John Harold Stone. I looked for his brothers but they were not there, nor was Hubert A. Allcock who died in 1915. I thought Hubert A. might have been killed in the war. The other Allcock brothers were not there either. However, not finding something is as good in a different way as finding something. At least I know where they're not.

Bobbi

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi bobbiL,

If you think another Allcock died in the war, here is another site to check...and you thought it was done...lol.

http://www.cwgc.org/

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hubert died in Toronto at 289 Roncesvalles Ave 26 Aug 1915. Age 37 and single, occupation Broker. Father Hubert Allcock and mother Mary Thompson. Informant Jessie E Allcock of 72 Fermanagh Ave. If you would like the cause of death let me know and I will PM it ... I personally do not put this info on the public forum.

If your local library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition you would have access to the original image of this record.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada