Author Topic: Taylor of Metropole Mansions - any information greatly appreciated!  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Hobbit Frodo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Taylor of Metropole Mansions - any information greatly appreciated!
« on: Monday 02 January 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to see if I can put together a better picture as to the life of my grandmother and her adopted mother however there are a few gaps.

The first confirmation of their living on the IOM is the 1901 census:

IOM
Civil Parish: Onchan
Ecclesiastical Parish: Braddon
Town: Douglas
Address: 5 Metropole Mansions

Esther H. TAYLOR   Wife  Married   aged: 39   Boarding House Keeper   
                               Born: England 
Jane D. TAYLOR      Daughter   Single   aged: 22  As above

Esther H. TAYLOR was born Esther Hannah (or Ann) HULLEY 1861 Sept qtr Radcliffe she married Squire TAYLOR in Lancashire in 1880 March qtr

1881 Census shows them living together in Pilkington Lancs as Cotton Weavers

1891 Census I cannot find Esther TAYLOR but can find Squire TAYLOR as a baker living in Manchester

1901 Census - see above for Esther

1911 Census - Esther, her adopted daughter and Squire TAYLOR are all back together running the Temperance Hotel in Manchester

Jane D. TAYLOR is actually Sarah Jane DUTTON. I am sure this is the same girl as the dates match and I know that Sarah Jane was taken in by the Taylors but I have no idea how or when except that it must have been after 1885.

Sarah Jane DUTTON was born in 1879 and lived at 25 Garden Lane in Chester until her father William DUTTON died in 1885. His wife, Jane DUTTON went to Bradford with her youngest son Arthur (born a month after her husband died) and was a twine baller (this is on the 1891 census). Sarah's older sister Frances is a domestic servant in 1891 and her older brother William was sent to America with his aunt and uncle in 1885. I cannot find a record of Sarah Jane DUTTON in 1891 anywhere.

If anyone knows anything about the boarding house or can shed any light on whether Esther and Sarah Jane (or Jane D Taylor as she may have been known) were on the IOM before 1901 I would be eternally grateful!  :)
Dorset; Cheshire; Kansas; Kent; Norwich
Smith; Dutton; Sawyer; Judd; Taylor; Haddock; Viney; Kemp; Edwards

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor of Metropole Mansions - any information greatly appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 12 15:50 GMT (UK) »
There's a bit about Metropole Mansions here, but it doesn't mention number 5:

www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/towns/douglas/metro.htm

and a photograph here:

www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4d741e528786560f7502ecc7/metropole-mansions-queens-parade/en

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Hobbit Frodo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 12 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cati! That was a remarkably quick response. Really interesting to see the photos. I've just checked the census transcript again and it definitely says number 5...hmm....

Offline Hobbit Frodo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Not trying to confuse matters but here are a couple of links to earlier posts I put on the Cheshire / Lancs pages about the family history:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,549264.msg4026501.html#msg4026501

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,544627.msg3986435.html#msg3986435

This might be too much info to bother going through though and a bit too irrelevant to the IOM search!

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 12 16:58 GMT (UK) »
1904 official guide has for Metropole mansions No 1 Waltho, No 2 Callister,3 Eyton, 5 Hanson, 6 Ducker ,11 Dodswoth + unnumbered 'Balmoral' McPhail but admit numbering looks strange
thus if they were owners looks as if moved by 1903/4; - they wouldn't have been cheap to buy - I'm not sure if they were rented but think these were proprietor operated
could they have just been paid managers ?
The life of a boarding house keeper well covered in Larch et al "Industrial Archaelogy of IoM" - hectic 10 week season in which to make all money

ETA an E Taylor was running boarding house at 35 Murray's Rd (1 sitting, 6 beds) in 1898 official list - looks a more likely place to start up;
Taylor is not common name on Island only other taylors were 2 offering rented accomodation rather than B&B
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Hobbit Frodo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frances_mnb

That's really interesting that there's so few Taylors and that there was an E Taylor running a boarding house in 1891. That does indeed sound a far more likley place to start off.

Looking at the census transcript (I am relying on a print out of the original that a friend printed out for me and have run out of money on Find my Past!) it looks like there's a good possibility they were paid managers. There is a Hotel Proprietor listed under them and his name is Robert Stott? It's hard to read his surname, it might be Slott...or might be something else entirely! It's also hard to see thought whether Mr Robert ? is at number 5 or at Number 6. I think I need to get hold of a transcribed copy.

Thanks again for the info. I will have to look at the book you mention!

:)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
1898! official list
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Hobbit Frodo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 12 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Doh! Sorry....was my brain being permanently in Census mode...I had read it as 1898!

Offline Hobbit Frodo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 January 12 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Just found an article on 19th century newspapers online about Mr Stott of Metropole Mansions owing money in October 1900. It keeps talking about execution but I think they mean some method of getting the money back from him. This confirms the name though on the 1901 census....though am surprised he's still there!