Author Topic: Meeke/Meek from Northern Ireland to New Zealand  (Read 15465 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Meeke/Meek from Northern Ireland to New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.

Re the J. C. MEEK death 1921. Unfortunately the  BARROW Funeral Director records have not survived. Believed burnt years after the business closed. However the other companies, used for the other Hamilton Burials, are still in business and or their records can be accessed by contacting the individual Funeral Director.  James R HILL especially so, as they have the card index for the SCRIMSHAW business of early Hamilton.

http://web.hcc.govt.nz/jsplive/assure32_det.jsp Lists the MEEK's in the Hamilton City data base.

PS. If the family you are after is Waikato based, there is also a school photo, on line, in the previous link supplied.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie.

If you order a death registration it is better to order the printout rather than a certificate,they usually have more info and as a bonus they are a little cheaper  :) order thenm here

https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search/

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
There is a probate for James Craig Meek at Auckland Archives

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=14768254

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
He is buried in Waikumete cemetery

http://www.waitakere.govt.nz/cnlser/cm/cemeterysearch/default.aspx

I don't see a M A Meek buried with him

Cheers Janette

Offline maggieblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Work hard, play hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Thanks again for such great help

Janette & Althea... I have ordered printouts (great tip Janette) for both deaths as I have a hunch, maybe wrong but isnt this what we have to do... the 7 month old James Craig could have been a son.... maybe not but sure, I will find out....
Are these cemeteries in the same locality?

Janette... I found the probate details but unfortunately you have to view them in person  :(

Freshfields ... many thanks for the details regarding funeral directors and the link to Hamilton City Services... will follow that up.

Thanks again  :)

Maggie
Antrim/Ahoghill/Broughshane Co Antrim - LYTTLE, MEEKE, SWANN, CRAIG, WALLACE, NICHOLL
Maghergall/Derriaghy Lisburn area - SINCLAIR, MCFARLAND, BRAITHWAITE, MORROW, VINT, ELWOOD, MCNEICE, CLOSE, HARBINSON, TODD, MCWATTERS, MCPEAKE, COURTNEY, THOMPSON, BELSHAW,  LARMOUR, DUBORDIEUR, STEWART, WIGGINS
Canada - SINCLAIR
New Zealand - MEEKE
Co Armagh/America - STEENSON
Co Tyrone/Co Londonderry GAMBLE, MOON, LOVE, ROBINSON, LINDSAY, COULTER, WHITE, LYONS, MOOREHEAD, BAIRD, MCCREA, LESLIE.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I found the probate details but unfortunately you have to view them in person 
There are 2 other options
1. pay archives for a copy
2. Ask a chatter if they are able to order and view

Bye
Althea

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello yet again.

To the question, "Are these cemeteries in the same location ? I assume you are referring to Hamilton East and Waikumete.

If you intend doing some search of NZ, perhaps you could print out a map of NZ, or at least the upper North Island, because from what I remember of the hits I was looking at, the MEEK family hits were in the #1 Auckland / South Auckland area, which is our largest City, and Waikumete in West Auckland has been one of the larger public cemeteries for a very long time. #2 Then we move down into the Waikato to Hamilton City some 100 km away and it's two old [closed] public cemeteries Ham., East & Ham., West. It is now serviced by one large public Cemetery on the Cities Newstead boundary. On the Cities Cemetery web page, you will also find burials at nearby smaller cemeteries, either public owned, or in church yards.

In NZ I have found most Funeral Directors very approachable about their records, which for business reasons, usually have family or lawyer contact details, as well and the answers to the statutory required questions. In this PC world of today, be prepared to present your case as a genuine family researcher. In my case I’ve also been able to receive elusive details about two brothers who did not return from WWII. My research drew a blank, when I could find no next of kin. Possibly helped that I’ve done business with most of the Hamilton director’s through various family funerals.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

I will PM the email addy of Weirs,the FD for J C Meek in Waikumete

Cheers Janette

Offline maggieblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Work hard, play hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Well folks I am so excited.......

The two death records above that I ordered arrived today...... and they are both related

My Grand Uncle James Craig Meek, died 1957 and James Craig Meek Jnr died 3/3/1921..... I just cannot believe it, went on a hunch and it proved correct...... wow

The information given now gives me his wife's name and maiden name, they married in England and also now their burial places.   So the probate is correct and I will have to contact the office to get a copy.

Hopefully now I can find other family members both dead and living.  Also my hunt is on for a photograph of James Snr, maybe the whole family  :)

Alan, yes a map is a good idea, thank you  :)

I cannot thank you all enough for your help.  I am so happy  :)

Maggie
Antrim/Ahoghill/Broughshane Co Antrim - LYTTLE, MEEKE, SWANN, CRAIG, WALLACE, NICHOLL
Maghergall/Derriaghy Lisburn area - SINCLAIR, MCFARLAND, BRAITHWAITE, MORROW, VINT, ELWOOD, MCNEICE, CLOSE, HARBINSON, TODD, MCWATTERS, MCPEAKE, COURTNEY, THOMPSON, BELSHAW,  LARMOUR, DUBORDIEUR, STEWART, WIGGINS
Canada - SINCLAIR
New Zealand - MEEKE
Co Armagh/America - STEENSON
Co Tyrone/Co Londonderry GAMBLE, MOON, LOVE, ROBINSON, LINDSAY, COULTER, WHITE, LYONS, MOOREHEAD, BAIRD, MCCREA, LESLIE.