Author Topic: Any ideas for 1800 birth  (Read 863 times)

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any ideas for 1800 birth
« on: Tuesday 03 January 12 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello, looking for your guys help again. All my research and family so far have been in Scotland.

I have now come across an entry on  the 1841 Glenorchy Census which tells me a William Anderson was born in England. He is aged 40 so would be born around 1800. I know his parents are William Anderson and his mother is Nancy Beattie.

I have searched in the pre 1837 links as detailed in the hints and tips but am at a loss as I have no idea where in England he was born.

Am I really at the needle in a haystack stage or is there anything else I could try?
Morrison, Porter, Caie, Reid, Paterson, Robertson

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas for 1800 birth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi cale

Remember ages in 1841 were usually rounded down - so he could be anything up to 44 in 1800.
Do you know if he had any brothers or sisters and when they were born - could help with the date of their parents' marriage.
And what is his occupation? - helps to try and track him to other places

Happy hunting!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 20:53 GMT (UK) »
The rounding down had escaped my mind - thakyou for the reminder. That gives me a few more years to work on. No information re siblings or marriage etc. In terms of occupation the family all seem to be shephers or ag lab etc.

Thanks for the help

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
A couple of more ideas - all help to piece the jigsaw!

How did you find him 1841 (you must have had some criteria to look for him), who is he living with? Is he married?
Have you then found them, and/or him in 1851?

Do you know when he dies? and have you found his death certificate? Scottish ones are so much more helpful than English ones and give all sorts of little clues.

Added:
I think I have him on the 1841 Census in Glenorchy.
He has wife Betsy and 3 children, Robert, Beta (but this has been amended to Peter), and Duncan. Is this them?

On Scotlandspeople, there is s a birth for a Duncan Anderson, father William, mother Betsy (I think I put in Betsy - could have been Elizabeth - brain like a sieve!) in March 1840 which has to be him. I can get that far without any credits!.

Can't see them in the 1851, but looks like the family in 1861 with more children (although this time William says he was born in Scotland - changed his mind!. I have lots of people who gave contradictory information to any number of official records. ) Peter is only 11 months old - maybe the first Peter died, and they called this one the same name - I have several of those. His birth is after 1855 so would give Betsy's surname, though you may be lucky looking at the other births in OPRs and have her surname given there too.
Then hopefully you can find their marriage and put some more of the jigsaw together.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline caie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 April 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry it has taken so long to pick this up - thank you all for the hints and tips - and yes! I think that is his record you have found - I will add the dates etc to my info and see if it all fits.

Caie

Argyle and Aberdeenshire
Glasgow and Perth