Author Topic: information about tartan COMPLETED  (Read 7252 times)

Offline Jimster

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: information about tartan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Agreed .... the studios had lots of props and costumes to choose from

I have one of my lot in a pretty white smock with tatty socks and shoes  :-[

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 19:13 GMT (UK) »
 For some strange  reason  when we say someone wore that pleated garment with a big pin at one side we ought to say they wore "the kilt".
---don`t ask me why!  I`m not correcting anyone just remarking on  the strange fact . In the grand scheme of things it matters not one jot or tittle  .I like daft trivia like that.
                                                                         Viktoria.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I think it comes into the same category as someone "having the Gallic" meaning that they speak Gaelic.

I wonder if it's something to do with the way sentences are constructed in Gaelic?

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Technically I think kilts were garments for men only- this doesn't even look like a kilt, more like a tartan skirt.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Kilts for both men and women (tho originally was definitely a male garment)  but this isn't a proper kilt. Has no pleating or buckles
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I said "kilts were garments for men only- but, of course, now availble for women.

Queen Victoria started a great craze for things Scottish and not surprising an Australian photographer would try to entice his customers with such an outfit for a child's photograph.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I think it comes into the same category as someone "having the Gallic" meaning that they speak Gaelic.
I wonder if it's something to do with the way sentences are constructed in Gaelic?

That is exactly what it comes from.

The Gaelic for 'Do you speak Gaelic' (note not Gallic though it does sound like it) is 'Am bheil Gąidhligh agaibh?', which, if literally translated back into English, would be 'Is Gaelic at you?'. This same construction is used to ask, 'Do you have ....?' For example, 'Do you have a house' would be, 'Am bheil tigh agaibh'; literally, 'Is a house at you?'; 'Do you have a television' is 'Am bheil telebhisean agaibh?' and 'Do you have a brother' is 'Am bheil brąthair agaibh?'
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 21:38 GMT (UK) »
this isn't a proper kilt.

It doesn't look remotely like a kilt.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the additional bits of information. I imagine that great-grandfather, despite establishing himself well in Australia, remained a Scot at heart and wanted his children to know that part of their heritage. If the outfit wasn't from the studio's prop box, great-grandmother probably made it herself.
Happy 2012 to all
Livia
Gilbertson (Burnley Lancs)
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)
Clonan (or Cloonan), Bennett (or Bent) (Westmeath Ireland)
all migrated to South Australia between 1836 and 1890s