Author Topic: Maria Keenan Taylor m William McIntyre 1926  (Read 5483 times)

Offline ScottishSquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Not sure what to put in here yet!
    • View Profile
Maria Keenan Taylor m William McIntyre 1926
« on: Wednesday 04 January 12 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello, 

Please, does anyone have any information on Maria Keenan Taylor - b1901 Greenock, Scotland
Married William McIntyre (b Scotland) in Toronto Canada in 1926.

Williams parents - Alexander McIntyre + Mary Fitzpatrick (b Scotland)
Maria's mother - Jane Taylor (b Ireland)

Passenger list shows that Maria was gong to stay with an aunt - Cath Kyle in York, Canada - was she a sister of Jane Kyle (b Ireland)?   

I can't find anything on Maria Keenan McIntyre (nee Taylor) anywhere!  any crumb to lead me to my next step would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks Karen.
Scotland: Barnes, Bell, Fitzsimmons, Holmes, Keenan,   Laing (Lang), McKenna, Munn, Renton, Roulston (Raltson), Thompson, Watson,

Ireland:  Ash, Bonnar, Burgess, Fairman, Gamble, Hastings, Keenan, Kilpatrick, Kyle, Taylor, Topping (Toppins),

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Keenan Taylor m William McIntyre 1926
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 12 08:31 GMT (UK) »
If they stayed in the Toronto area you could try the online archives of the Toronto Star:
http://pagesofthepast.ca/Default.asp
It's a pay site but it's pretty inexpensive and you can purchase a subscription for as little as an hour.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 12 16:04 GMT (UK) »
To clarify the passenger listing for Maria ...

The manifest seems to indicate that Maria is going to the Salvation Army, 480 Jarvis St, Toronto.

I believe the Cath Kyle is the mother of the next passenger on the list, John Kyle, and given as his destination.

Also, the marriage registration for Maria gives her father as James Taylor b. Ireland and her mother as Jane Taylor (no birth place given). Do you know her mother's maiden name? Is it Kyle?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ScottishSquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi PB,

Thank you for your interest.

Taylor was Maria's mothers maiden name.  There is no father named on Maria's birth certificate.  However I noticed too that James Taylor is listed as her father on the marriage registration but it did also say that there was no listing on the birth certificate (which I have a copy of).

I'm working on trying to trace Jane Taylor (parents: Thomas Taylor m Jane Kyle) as she was my grandfathers aunt, Maria Taylor and James Keenan (my grandfather) were brought up as brother/sister (same age.)   He tried to trace her years ago - before internet, I'm now taking over the reigns.   I'm working on a hunch that the middle name Keenan (my maiden name) is the fathers name!!!   Taylor/Kyle/Keenans all related from Portglenone, Co Antrim, Ireland.

Many thanks, Karen
Scotland: Barnes, Bell, Fitzsimmons, Holmes, Keenan,   Laing (Lang), McKenna, Munn, Renton, Roulston (Raltson), Thompson, Watson,

Ireland:  Ash, Bonnar, Burgess, Fairman, Gamble, Hastings, Keenan, Kilpatrick, Kyle, Taylor, Topping (Toppins),

Offline ScottishSquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 12 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

Thank you for the information.  I'll certainly look up the paper.  Could you please tell me the name of the newspaper covering Toronto/York for me to maybe place an ad.  My grandfather placed several years ago but never heard anything.  Times change and I'm feeling hopeful.

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 January 12 19:09 GMT (UK) »
a marriage
 William McINTYRE, 26, Scotland, 720 Bay St., s/o Alexander McINTYRE,
b. Scotland & Mary FITZPATRICK, m. Maria Keenan TAYLOR, 25 (b. 25 July 1901), Greenock Scotland, 720 Bay St., daughter, James TAYLOR, b. Ireland & Jane TAYLOR, witn: George ROSS & Matilda O'NEILL, both of 720 Bay St., 23 Oct 1926

Offline ScottishSquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 12 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi VBain,

Thank you for that info, I should have said that it was from the marriage extract from Toronto that I got the parental information for William McIntyre.

I am wondering if Alexander and his misses were already out in Canada, although both born in Scotland, as I haven't found a passage for William McIntyre

I suppose I'm hoping for any decendants of Maria & William to recognise her middle name!

regards
Karen

Offline ScottishSquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 January 12 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought... what was at 720 Bay Street, in 1926?  was this part of the Salvation Army too?

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 January 12 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  I'll certainly look up the paper.  Could you please tell me the name of the newspaper covering Toronto/York for me to maybe place an ad.  My grandfather placed several years ago but never heard anything.  Times change and I'm feeling hopeful.

The Toronto Star would likely be your best bet.
http://www.thestar.com/

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz