Author Topic: Witton Park & Spennymoor  (Read 4679 times)

Offline PaulBinns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Witton Park & Spennymoor
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Paul, were your great grandparents at this address in the 1901 census? If so, look at the nearby addresses and follow the enumerator’s route to get an idea of the area and try tofind the bame of the pub and locate it on an old map.

Some seem to be named:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.9&lat=54.66586&lon=-1.72660&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

Sadly, we have not been able to find them in the Census. They traveled back and forth between England and the states many times in 10 years. During 1900-1905ish, they were supposed to run a public house for about a year or year half. We have found them in Electoral Registry in 1906 and 1907 in Crook on Church Street. We were told the public house was there somewhere, however oddly in 1904 they have listed as a Birth Certificate of one of their sons on Thompsons Street in Witton Park.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 21:26 GMT (UK) »
A couple of suggestions:
Have you asked for some help here to find your family in the 1901 census in case they are ‘hiding’?
How do you know they had a pub around Church Street in Crook?
Have you searched newspapers in case there is mention of them.
There may be lists of licencees for the time frame (there are in some areas) so that might be worth pursuing.
If you wish to share their names and any details which may help locate them someone may be able to help. Timeline and known locations might be useful as well, if they moved about.

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Binns is listed on the 1904 electoral register at 6 High Thompson Street, Witton Park. In 1905 he is listed at 4 High Thompson Street. In 1906 he is listed at Church Street. Crook.

Jay

Offline PaulBinns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 15:26 GMT (UK) »
A couple of suggestions:
Have you asked for some help here to find your family in the 1901 census in case they are ‘hiding’?
How do you know they had a pub around Church Street in Crook?
Have you searched newspapers in case there is mention of them.
There may be lists of licencees for the time frame (there are in some areas) so that might be worth pursuing.
If you wish to share their names and any details which may help locate them someone may be able to help. Timeline and known locations might be useful as well, if they moved about.

Samuel J Binns born in Yorkshire Feb 1866. Married to Elizabeth O'Connor Binns in the States. They had many children; at least one born back in England. I am going off my ancestry report and my grandfather's, (TJ Binns'), memoir that stated around 1900-1908 they moved back to Crook to run a pub before selling it and moving to Witton Park and then back to the states.

Offline PaulBinns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Binns is listed on the 1904 electoral register at 6 High Thompson Street, Witton Park. In 1905 he is listed at 4 High Thompson Street. In 1906 he is listed at Church Street. Crook.

Jay

Jay, I discovered that interesting information because it appears Thompson St is no longer in existence in Witton Park. Funny how my grandfather's memoir states they moved back to Crook to run the pub before moving to Witton Park where at least one of his sons was born.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for passenger lists? Might these be of interest?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PR-R9C4-K?i=180&cc=1368704&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AJFW2-CPD

This is for a Samuel Binns from Crook but note the date of Sept 1905 ( also worth noting that electoral registers can contain out of date information).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C95R-434C-M?i=42&cc=1368704&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AJXP8-2M6

I assume that this is the rest of the family going to the United States - note that it states last residence as in Stockton on Tees.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline PaulBinns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for passenger lists? Might these be of interest?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PR-R9C4-K?i=180&cc=1368704&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AJFW2-CPD

This is for a Samuel Binns from Crook but note the date of Sept 1905 ( also worth noting that electoral registers can contain out of date information).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C95R-434C-M?i=42&cc=1368704&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AJXP8-2M6

I assume that this is the rest of the family going to the United States - note that it states last residence as in Stockton on Tees.

William

Interesting. We knew the last place was Stockton-on-Tees as that was where Elizabeth's O'Connor clan were from. We also know Sam left her and a few kids back in England to run the pub in Crook and came back to the states to work in mines. She stayed a while but sold the pub and may have then moved back into her parents until he sent for her to come back to the states.