Author Topic: Witton Park & Spennymoor  (Read 4681 times)

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Witton Park & Spennymoor
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 January 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thanks to all for helping, will now be able to put a new posting on the site ;) ;)
All the very best Derek
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline hampan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hamilton Crest Badge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 January 12 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I was born in Spennymoor and have now settled back in the Town.  When I was a boy in the 60's and early 70s the town was surrounded by slag heaps which were the residue of the Bessemer Converter iron works in the town.  The iron works didn't exist then, and the slag heaps have now also been removed as the town developed in the late 70s and 80s.  We were taught at school that the "Bessemer" process for making steel was first introduced in Spennymoor and a large housing estate, built in the late 60's was named Bessemer Park - it too has now been demolished and replaced with much nicer homes.  Bessemer Park was a series of 2 and 3 story flats of the Poulson era that quickly became an eye-sore.

You can find a little more information about the iron works at the links previously mentioned but also at:  http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Weardale_Iron_and_Coal_Co

The Weardale Iron & Co Company were instrumental in the development of the iron and steel industry in the area.  Good luck with your research.

David
Hamilton - Lambeth, Carr - Low Spennymoor, Knowles - Spennymoor

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 January 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thanks for taking time to reply to me David, i suppose i dont live to far away from you i'm at Stockton on Tees, which used to be part of Co Durham, we also had lots of foundries and iron works in the area as well as the river Tees, ship building was going on in the early days before 1900, i think thats what brought the large Irish folks here 1850 onwards, my g g grandad James Casey as you may have seen by my posting was a Pudler of Iron, it seems where ever he worked a Comaskey followed or there before him, which makes me believe the Comaskey's and Casey kept the strong family ties going, my g g g g grandmother was Bridget Comaskey Casey born perhaps 1780 { there or there abouts } Comaskeys even came to our town of Stockton on Tees one family found in the 1881 Census, but beleive Comaskeys could have been here earlier ;) hope that explains why i wanted to know about iron works in Spennymoor and Witton Park, all the very best Derek

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 January 12 11:10 GMT (UK) »
The Witton Park Ironworks were opened in 1845-46 by Bolckow and Vaughan using ironstone brought in from Cleveland.

The ironworks had a comparatively short life and closed in c1884.  Work at the site continued so as to produce road material from the slag in the slag heaps.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 January 12 11:40 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thanks Wearsider, all the best Derek ;)

Offline PaulBinns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 21:35 GMT (UK) »
American here with weird question, my great grandparents lived in Witton Park briefly for a few years from 1901-1906 and then moved to Crook. They lived on Thompson st. which appears to no longer be in existence. They also either owned a public house in Witton Park or Crook. Any assistance on finding said pub would be appreciated.

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 December 23 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Paul, were your great grandparents at this address in the 1901 census? If so, look at the nearby addresses and follow the enumerator’s route to get an idea of the area and try tofind the bame of the pub and locate it on an old map.

Some seem to be named:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.9&lat=54.66586&lon=-1.72660&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

Offline PaulBinns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile