Author Topic: advice sought please  (Read 1331 times)

Offline cnerys

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
advice sought please
« on: Friday 06 January 12 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Having researched my BLOOR/BLORE family to what we thought was a good, credible background, a spanner has been thrown into our research which I don't know how to prove/disprove.
WILLIAM BLOOR b 1815 Newmarket, Flintshire moved to Efenechtyd with his wife Elizabeth and daughter Elizabeth, noted on the 1851 census. William has always noted himself as being born in Newmarket, Flintshire on every census, the last one being 1881, living all the time in Efenechtyd. The spanner that has been thrown is that he is of Irish origin, which is new to me. This comes from descendants of the daughter Elizabeth . My problem is, do I believe this family rumour that William was Irish when he noted on every census he was born Flintshire and is there any way possible I can actually prove this? I am stumped on this one. Any advice on how to go about finding this would be good. We have both of William's marriage certificates as he married twice and both state his father as Joseph Bloor. We know William is illegitimate and a baptism record has been viewed in the archives. This message will be posted on the Flintshire page  too as that's where William is originally from and all the help I can get on this one will be gratefully received.
Kind Regards
Nerys
Morris - Gwytherin/Llangernyw/Pandy Tudur
Blore - Efenechtyd/Clocaenog
Bloor - Cwm/Newmarket Wales
Price - Llangwm, Poulton cum Seacomb/Bebington
Roberts - Llanelidan - 'Pantrwth' Eyarth, Liverpool, Sheffield, Llanrwst
Roberts - Brookhouse Denbigh, Bontuchel
Williams - Abergele
Hughes - Llanfairtalhaiarn
Jones - Llangynhafal

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: advice sought please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 12 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Does the descendant of Elizabeth have any documentation to support her story of Irish origin?

I would not throw out all your carefull research just on someone else's say-so --but if they have followed another documented trail, compare the two sets of research and make up your own mind as to which is most likely.

My father  researched our tree and connected the family to someone in a local village - but when i found an online tree for that person with a totally different wife & family i reviewed both lots of evidenc and concluded my father had been wrong -- i am still trying to find the right family for my ancestor
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline cnerys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 12 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the advice. I am very confident that we are correct in what details we have, but unless William would have had a reason to put wrong information on the census I can't see him having done so. I will have to wait and see what information is shared from a birth certificate that's just been sent for of the daughter Elizabeth brings from the other person researching these Bloors.
Kind regards
Nerys
Williams - Abergele
Jones - Llangynhafal

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 12 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nerys,

I'd go with your research.

Let me know If you need anything checking at the archives.

Paul.

Offline cnerys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul,
Thank you for your offer. I am so certain that what we have found out on my Bloor family is correct that I just don't know how or where to start looking into this Irish connection. I have looked on the census for a William Bloor born in Ireland but that doesn't throw any matches, so it may well be family hearsay. But I just have to double check, you know. So at the moment I can't think of any lookup that we have not made before will need doing again.  the only one that might be of benefit is the marriage of Elizabeth Bloor to Price Jones Q1 1872 Ruthin district. Elizabeth was from Efenechtyd and Price Jones was born LLanelidan.
It was also mentioned that a lady called Betsan who was living in Llanelidan and was also Irish was related to William Bloor, So it's all a real mystery.
Thanks again
Best wishes
Nerys
Williams - Abergele
Jones - Llangynhafal