Author Topic: Advice sought please  (Read 2595 times)

Offline cnerys

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice sought please
« on: Friday 06 January 12 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Having researched my BLOOR/BLORE family to what we thought was a good, credible background, a spanner has been thrown into our research which I don't know how to prove/disprove.
WILLIAM BLOOR b 1815 Newmarket, Flintshire moved to Efenechtyd with his wife Elizabeth and daughter Elizabeth, noted on the 1851 census. William has always noted himself as being born in Newmarket, Flintshire on every census, the last one being 1881, living all the time in Efenechtyd. The spanner that has been thrown is that he is of Irish origin, which is new to me. This comes from descendants of the daughter Elizabeth . My problem is, do I believe this family rumour that William was Irish when he noted on every census he was born Flintshire and is there any way possible I can actually prove this? I am stumped on this one. Any advice on how to go about finding this would be good. We have both of William's marriage certificates as he married twice and both state his father as Joseph Bloor. We know William is illegitimate and a baptism record has been viewed in the archives for him, mother is Ann Jones. This message will be posted on the Denbighshire page as William lived in Efenechtyd Denbighshire up to the 1881 census.
William's father Joseph is from Cwm, is a farmer and had many children, also a legitimate son William. We had many problems sussing this family out because of the two William  Bloors.
Kind Regards
Nerys
Morris - Gwytherin/Llangernyw/Pandy Tudur
Blore - Efenechtyd/Clocaenog
Bloor - Cwm/Newmarket Wales
Price - Llangwm, Poulton cum Seacomb/Bebington
Roberts - Llanelidan - 'Pantrwth' Eyarth, Liverpool, Sheffield, Llanrwst
Roberts - Brookhouse Denbigh, Bontuchel
Williams - Abergele
Hughes - Llanfairtalhaiarn
Jones - Llangynhafal

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Advice sought please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
In the Trelawnyd (Newmarket) PRs I found a baptism for a Joseph Bloore, son of Thomas and Mary (Edwards), date 11th December 1787. This would make him about the right age to be your William's father.

There are a number of other Bloor/Bloore references, the earliest being in 1781.

There are a large number of foreign sounding names (i.e. not Welsh) in the PRs, and my guess is that many of these were tradesmen brought in by John Wynne (Google will tell you more) who tried to build  a new market town. My initial thought was that a Bloor(E) might have been one of these, but on closer study, there seems to be a big time difference from when Wynne was active (died 1714) to the first Bloor reference in the PRs.

Tecwyn.
Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks

Offline cnerys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Advice sought please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 12 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tecwyn,
That is indeed my Joseph Bloor, son of William and Mary. We have had a hard time seeking out the correct Bloors in my ancestry and have traced William now to originate from England. It hasn't helped with the fact that my William was illegitimate but named Joseph Bloor as his father on both marriage certificates. Joseph had many children one being a legitimate William that I got confused with at the start of my research, but have ruled him out as my direct line.
I am fascinated by this new twist as it's made me restart looking at these Bloors again.
Thank you for your input. I will google John Wynne. We were under the impresion that William Bloor might have worked for the Blackamores and maybe that's why he moved from Cwm to Efenechtyd before the 1851 census.
Kind regards
Nerys
Morris - Gwytherin/Llangernyw/Pandy Tudur
Blore - Efenechtyd/Clocaenog
Bloor - Cwm/Newmarket Wales
Price - Llangwm, Poulton cum Seacomb/Bebington
Roberts - Llanelidan - 'Pantrwth' Eyarth, Liverpool, Sheffield, Llanrwst
Roberts - Brookhouse Denbigh, Bontuchel
Williams - Abergele
Hughes - Llanfairtalhaiarn
Jones - Llangynhafal