Author Topic: congetital imbecilie!  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: congetital imbecilie!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 January 12 10:05 GMT (UK) »
If Florence was unable to live independently she obviously stayed at the hospital for life? The problem is I can't find her death registered at all. She was born Christmas eve 1889 - I can't think she'd have married so why can't I find her death?

I don't think you can rule out marriage.  Also, in 1911, the country was only 3 years away from WW1 - that could have changed her life in all sorts of ways.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 January 12 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I don't think you have given her full name on here. If you do, we could help you to search for her death.

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 January 12 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I don't think you have given her full name on here. If you do, we could help you to search for her death.

Jen :)

Florence Venn
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,465070.msg3256298.html#msg3256298

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 January 12 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Je, I hadn't seen that thread.

I've had a quick look at the deaths on An*****y and can't see anything obvious at the moment but will keep looking.

Jen

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 January 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, one of my g.uncles was in a mental asylum in 1911 and he, and all the other inmates, is just shown as "lunatic".

Offline sarahLB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 January 12 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen for looking  :) Lizzie - Florence's brother was also in an institution and he is listed as feeble minded. Checking on different websites it seems it was all down to IQ.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 November 12 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Sarah - According to the admission page of my g.uncle's notes (which is all the Manchester Archivists would let me have as he went into the asylum more than 100 years ago, but stayed there until he died in 1964, less than 100 years ago) my g.uncle was hearing voices, so I assume he was something like a schizophrenic, rather than a lunatic, which to me implies someone whose mental illness cannot be treated, even today.  My mum remembers visiting him when she was a young girl and told me he seemed (to her) quite normal and was working as a gardener at the asylum.

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 November 12 19:34 GMT (UK) »

Some time ago, Brian Rix was talking about his daughter who had Downs.
   When she was born, one of the doctors asked in all seriousness if he had been drunk when she was conceived!

That's why Lord Rix became involved with Mencap and had a lot to do with changing attitudes towards people with mental health problems
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Talking about weird diagnosis, I came across an inquest in the British Newspapers (whilst looking for something else).  A man had had one drink of beer and then suffered severe stomach pains and dropped dead.  The autopsy (how they did that in the late 1800s I don't know) suggested that he might have been poisoned.  The doctor would have none of it and declared that the cause of death was by drinking beer that was too cold. ::)

I know some girl recently had to have her stomach removed after drinking a cocktail laced with liquid nitrogen - which it seems is a current fad - but they wouldn't have done anything like that in the late 1800s surely?