Author Topic: Deaths in Coldstream :)  (Read 17539 times)

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths in Coldstream :)
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 January 12 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't know where all the other records you have seen have come from, but this is the genuine article, transcribed by me! Punctuation and spelling as in the original.

Brody 24 Agust 1799. Mark Brody Natrel son of William Brody by his Mother Margreat sord, widow, Cornhill.

This entry is from a list entitled "Register of Strangers 1756. Baptisms"

Brady. 10 January 1772. William the son of William Brady of Cornhill said to be baptised.

These are the entries for the 1st 2 children of William Brody and Jane Scot:-

William 1st son of William Brody, native of Cornhill, shoe-maker, by his wife Jane Scote, native of Cornhill, born 11 July 1808

John 2nd son of William Brody, native of Cornhill, shoe-maker, by his wife Jane Scote, native of Cornhill, born 23 April 1812

I agree with Barbara - the family seem to have come into Cornhill about 1770, and William returns to Coldstream with his family about 1812, but as it is only about a mile it wasn't too far for them to go.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 January 12 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jora :D It is much appreciated!

At least William put his name to Mark... got a few illegitimates in my tree and so sad to have the loss of one parent name make such a big chunk of nothing in your entire tree...

Isn't it just as well I kept poking about this? Otherwise I could still be looking for Herds and Ords  ::)

~ Edit- wait... Register of Strangers? Does that mean that "William Brady of Cornhill" wasn't born in Cornhill, just living there at the time and they came from somewhere else?

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 January 12 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the William 1799 was user submitted and not from the Parish Records, Ayashi.  I asked about Coldstream as I can help a bit that side but not much good at the Northumberland side, you need Jora for that.  It would be interesting to see how many Brodies were in Coldstream before your William the father and also if there were other Bradys in the Cornhill area of Northumberland.

I think in those days people flitted very casually between Cornhill and Coldstream as they were so close and many families moved backwards and forwards probably for work.

Barbara

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 January 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
No one I ask seems to know how to tell if one is extracted or submitted on familysearch's beta site and I can't find the entry on the classic.

I'm having more luck with William's side, certainly. The baptism that Jora gave matched the one I found on familysearch and more or less to the only death I could find vaguely like the name. That being the case, I think I've found Hannah BROADY 1769 in Coldstream (no mother) before William BRADY 1772 Cornhill and John BRADY 1778 Cornhill, of William and Hannah. They are a bit stretched out as kids go though...
I had previously speculated on that William's baptism and there was a reasonable one in Cornhill, but if the evidence points to him having come from elsewhere then I'll follow where it goes :) There appear to be several Brady families in the area, although from the reusages of names (Ralph popped up a few times) I'm thinking they are probably cousin lines.

Margaret on the other hand, not a sausage lol. There is a marriage to a Henry Sword at a good date in Cornhill, but no Andrew that I can find, and no S(w)ord deaths (tried on both sides of the border)... I'm still working on that :)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 January 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I know that the new Family Search has a whole load of baptisms attributed to Lillliesleaf where I live that are actually Maxton. That batch number with William 1799 has over 9000 names all Cornhill. C156021 and although all seem to be duplicated, even 4500 christenings in such a small place seems a bit wrong.  Perhaps Jora could take a look and see if she knows where they should be cos I don't think they are really Cornhill.  Very misleading.

Ralph is also an unusual name for Scotland but as you say they could all be related.  Sorry Ayashi we are making matters more confusing rather than clearing it up for you.  Have you been in touch with any Brady and Brody researchers on the two sides of the Border who might have some ideas?

And Coldstream was always Scotland!

Barbara

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Don't be sorry, it's all in fun at the end of it I guess! I haven't, and admittedly not even thought of looking for any! How would someone go about doing that, looking in Google or a specific site?

It is only recently that I've been able to confirm Mark's baptism as the Cornhill one rather than a Durham one and to be honest, I thought that would never happen (Mark later got into a fight with someone on his ship and smashed the man so hard over the head with a handspike that it shattered his skull... I read the records in the Old Bailey and it gave quite a few handy pointers!)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Love it, if they are in the papers you can get so much more on them!  Have you tried the new British Newspaper Archive site as you may get a lot more on him?

For other Brady/Brody researchers you could try GenesReunited or you could look at a Brady or Brodie mailing list or message list on Rootsweb.com or Genforum.  Just do searches for any of these and you will find them.  Or try a search or this site?  There will be a Northumberland and Berwickshire mailing lists and message lists which you could search the archives of.

I will have a quick look at my break today and see if I find anything likely. Are you a member of GenesReunited?

Barbara

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I did have a quick look on the newspapers. The only entries we've found so far are for Mark's incident, his son's death in a colliery explosion and his grandson doing very well in fruit and vegetable shows. Nothing on Mark's early life or of his parents or anything as yet.

OK, thanks, I'll have a look at that.

I am not a paying member, but I do have a skeleton tree on there that I've not updated in years. The only person who has contacted me about my Bradys is my cousin Ray, who I mentioned before. I'm far ahead of him in that research now. I think so few Bradys survived that there aren't so many descendants researching them!

By the way... as far as I'm aware, the Dissenters was an early term for what was later the Nonconformists? What religion(s) would this most likely be in Cornhill way? I have had it said to me that Presbyterianism was common up there, would this count as Dissenter?

Thanks again :)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think they would be the most common dissenters just over the Border.

Ayashi, don't know what I was thinking of - I am on the committee for Borders Family History Society and our website has member's interests. There is an Ian Bedford looking for Bradys in Cornhill and Coldsteam.  There is also a Brodie researcher with Brodies in Ayton.

http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/BFHSInterestsSearchSurnameIx.asp

Hope you get some info there.
Let us know

Barbara