Author Topic: Deaths in Coldstream :)  (Read 17544 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths in Coldstream :)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 January 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Oh. Well thanks. At least the marriage is not to my 5 x gt grandmother, I can live with not having it I guess lol

No, I'm not, but Cornhill is only small, right? This is why I wanted to find out more information about it, which is proving tricky. Sure, it could turn out to be a massive coincidence. There are inconsistencies (the two different dates of birth being the main one) but since I have four different transcripts of Mark's baptism (with two different dates of birth, neither matching William's...) I'm taking the whole thing with a pinch of salt.
I actually wouldn't have said it was odd for him to have two Williams, if one was illegitimate and one was by proper marriage, especially if the first William did not survive (I have no further information). It doesn't specify the address, just Cornhill.

Mark, or at least Mark Brady, is not a common name at all. Rather unusual if you think it's Biblical...

If an illegitimate child was given the father's surname, did the father have to give permission for it?

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 January 12 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ayashi

I am pretty sure the father would have to at least acknowledge the child for him to have that name.  So who are you descended from?

I wonder if William was a Herd?  That it is his occupation rather than the mother showing?

At least it being an unusual name, I would look for other Marks in Cornhill and it may give you clues about relations?

Barbara

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the burial for Hannah relict of William Brady, shoemaker in 1801, on the BT's is this William's parents?

Barbara

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm descended from Mark. He was my 4 x gt grandfather.

William was a shoemaker :) That's something the transcripts agree on at least (and William's family by Jane became shoemakers too).

I've done a preliminary search of William's family and it seems to be William son of William's and also Ralphs lol  I can't see anything obvious re. other Marks...

:)

Yes, I have William and Hannah as possible parents, not confirmed. William later called a daughter Hannah and there is a William "Broody" burial that could be his that matches that date. I came across Hannah's death by accident while I was going through and through the BTs. Thanks :)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking that it might give you a clue as to the mother if she has Marks in her family. 

Its not easy tho!

Where did Mark end up?

Barbara

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 January 12 14:25 GMT (UK) »
True... I've tried looking for her marriage under her many names and the closest I can get is Margaret Smith marrying William Todd in Ford, Northumberland, on the Dissenter's records. And that's as far as my luck went lol.

Mark moved to North Shields, became a mariner, got married in 1829, had two children and was widowed in 1840. We believe he died in 1851 (in the process of proving) following the deaths of his only son, his son in law and grandson in the same year. If we've got the right one, Mark died in Newcastle, probably fresh off his ship. Not that the others died of anything infectious apart from the son-in-law. You can't catch a gas explosion ;)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 January 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Not a very lucky family by the sound of it!

Barbara

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 January 12 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Very sad story... If Ann hadn't had her own little whoops child two years later, I wouldn't be here at all! lol

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 January 12 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha, I like that ;D  And most of us can say the same thing!

Barbara