Author Topic: John and Thomasina NEWTON, Aveley, Essex  (Read 6317 times)

Offline NJ25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and Thomasina NEWTON, Aveley, Essex
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 August 15 18:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Mebow,

My apologies for the delay in replying to you.

The two oil paintings sound very interesting and from what you've said may be connected to the branch of the family that I am currently researching. Harry (Henry) Newton was one of Captain John Newton's sons (born c.1740) by his second wife and I wonder if it is possible for you to send me an image of both of the pictures?

I will look into Sarah Jane Newton and her father Thomas in an attempt to narrow down the connection and will contact you if I turn up further information. From what I have gathered thus far, Harry may have been a mariner.

Many thanks,

NJ

Offline mebow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 August 15 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hello nj25,
I'm keen to send you images of paintings, can't do it right this minute, but will as soon as I can.
I wrote a long email to you, clicked on preview and lost the lot, no time to repeat it, can you send me your email address and I'll send pics.  I couldn't get them on Roots Chat site as they were too large to send.  Best regards, Marg

quote author=NJ25 link=topic=574700.msg5723043#msg5723043 date=1439055818]
Dear Mebow,

My apologies for the delay in replying to you.

The two oil paintings sound very interesting and from what you've said may be connected to the branch of the family that I am currently researching. Harry (Henry) Newton was one of Captain John Newton's sons (born c.1740) by his second wife and I wonder if it is possible for you to send me an image of both of the pictures?

I will look into Sarah Jane Newton and her father Thomas in an attempt to narrow down the connection and will contact you if I turn up further information. From what I have gathered thus far, Harry may have been a mariner.

Many thanks,

NJ
[/quote]

If I may enter this conversation please?  I have two oil paintings said to be of the "two uncles", one has a note on back that says No 2 Harry Newton, half brother from Captain Newton's second marriage. 
Current research suggests that John and Thomasina Newton possibly the couple you are interested in may be connected to the portraits that are believed to be of gentlemen related to Rev John Newton of Amazing Grace fame.  Is there any chance that may tie in with your research?
What I can say for sure is that the paintings came from Sidney Rodman's estate, he died in 1938 in Melbourne, Australia  Sidney Rodman's mother was Sarah Jane Newton, born Belper, Derbyshire 1823 dau of Thomas Newton a Wesleyan minister, bap Breaston, Derbyshire in 1783.   
Many thanks for any help that you are able to suggest. 

Maybe someone may have a painting or sketch of Harry (or Henry) Newton please"? so that it can be compared with the oil painting and can anyone help with the name of the other uncle. 

Hello all,

I'm running out of places to look for information in regards to my suspected six times great grandfather, Captain John Newton.

He was born circa 1700 somewhere in England and was father of John Newton (of 'Amazing Grace' fame) by his first wife, Elizabeth (who died circa 1732). I know the various readily available biographical details of 1732 to 1750, his remarriage to a 'Thomasina', subsequent children and move to York Factory, Manitoba, Canada, to be governor on the 'Prince Rupert' in May 1748 before he drowned in 1750.

What is puzzling me and the family is, did he take his wife Thomasina (who came from Aveley, Essex) and the children that he had by her? Because the trail has gone somewhat cold...

I have found two children born to the couple in Aveley (Thomas born 1741 and Thomasina born 1746) but there the trail stops until my four times great grandfather Thomas Newton (born 1787 UNKNOWN, died 1822 at sea but lived in Deal, England) who was always said to be related to John Newton of 'Amazing Grace' fame.

Any knowledge of the Newtons in Aveley, especially marriage information that may shed light onto Thomasina's maiden name, would be much, much appreciated. There has been a suggestion that they lived at a place called Moor Hall Farm on Lord Dacre's Belhus estate. Thanks guys!  :)

Offline Shereejones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 14:16 BST (UK) »
If you manage to read this, my nan back say (2005) did a family tree, and found we are related to John Newton. I am not sure how, my nan did all of the research and holds all of the records. You never know we could be distantly related.