Author Topic: Ruth Emily McKenzie, Son John (Ian), Louisa Powell  (Read 2137 times)

Offline PhoenixRose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ruth Emily McKenzie, Son John (Ian), Louisa Powell
« on: Sunday 08 January 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Just wondered if there might be anyone living in Guernsey who remembers any stories about my Grandmother Ruth Emily McKenzie who arrived in Guernsey in 1933 and was there until the end of World War II?

Ruth worked as a housemaid at Havilland Hall and her Aunt Louisa Powell was housekeeper.

Her son John McLeod McKenzie, also known to some as Ian, may have worked at Havilland Hall as a butler although he served with the RAF during the war so I think he arrived in the late 1940's or some time after that.

I have a copy of Ruth's WWII Identification card but know very little about her.

My Grandmother died in Scotland in 1951 and my Father's address was recorded on her death certificate as 2 Westcroft, St Andrews, Guernsey.

The Priaulx Library has been unable to find any information about her or my other close relatives which is very disappointing.

Ruth appears to have lived and worked alone in Guernsey even though my Father would only have been 12 years old when she arrived so it appears he was living with relatives in Scotland. My Grandfather Alexander may or may not have been with her when she arrived but there is no WWII ID card for him at the local archives.

Any information that anyone remembers, no matter how trivial, would be very much appreciated as it would help me piece together my family history.

Many thanks
PhoenixRose