Author Topic: Bollen [Bollin] Mills, Wilmslow - Does anyone know where in Wilmslow?  (Read 16276 times)

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bollen [Bollin] Mills, Wilmslow - Does anyone know where in Wilmslow?
« on: Sunday 08 January 12 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Please help if you can.

Jonathan Roylance of Wilmslow, miller. Property: Bollen [Bollin] Mills, with the Drying Kiln and the Mill House, with appurtenances; for fourteen years.

Above details of a lease for a mill in or near Wilmslow.  I come from the area but have no idea where this mill may have been.  Does anyone know and is there anything left of the original buildings?

Thanks, Nick.
Taylor of Bramhall CHS (At rest 1577)
Parrott (Middlewich & Sandbach CHS (At rest 1675)
Hollin(gs)worth, Hale Barns, Bowdon, Dunham Massey, CHS. & Pensax, Worcs (At rest 1658)
Roylance of Handforth & Cheadle CHS (stuck at 1775).
Bailey/Bayley of Mobberley, CHS (stuck at 1809)
Miller of Mickleham & Charlwood, SRY (At rest 1684).

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bollen [Bollin] Mills, Wilmslow - Does anyone know where in Wilmslow?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
From the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 13 March 1830

"To be let for a term of years.... COTTON FACTORY, called the Bollin Mill, situate in the Township of Bollington, in the county of Chester.....

2 miles from Macclesfield, about 1 mile from the Manchester and London Turnpike Road and within half a mile of the Macclesfield Canal, ....."

Possibility?

regards 

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 12 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,
Glad to be able to help.
I've looked on Cheshire's e-mapping  site and located Bollin Hall and the leet to it from quite a way back up the Bollin, just before a weir.
You will see (if you do as I have - brill  e-site - lots of info) that the hall, and presumably the mill. was on the site of the current Polar Ford, between the railway viaduct and the newish roundabout on the bypass.
For the benefit of others, the e-mapping facility allows for a currnt OS map on one side of the screen  and a choice of previous maps (1910, 1875) on the other half. As one is scrolled the other moves in unison.
Further info might? be obtainable from Ray Acton who is coming to the North Cheshire FHS meeting on August 21 at Hazel Grove  to give a talk about Victorian life in Wilmslow. It's on NCFHS website. I will send you a PM with his email address.
KimH

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 12 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Slater's Manchester, Salford & Suburban Directory 1911 Pt 4

It mentions a Bollin Walk, off Manchester Road, Wilmslow. Nearby streets listed are Wareham Street and Ladyfield St.
Listed is "Kitchen Wm, Miller, Bollin Mill"

Appears to have been on the corner of Bollin Walk and Manchester Rd?

The Mill in Bollington may have been in George St - there was a Silk Throwster's Mill there in 1911 (Kelly's Directory 1911)

regards

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 12 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine that our Welsh friend is not conversant with this neck of the woods. First of all the initial inquiry mentions a drying kiln. They don't have them in cotton mills but do, in corn mills.  Since my previous comment I have been on the ' picturecheshire' site and selected ' corn mill' and a picture of the sluice gate is given as being on the Bollin.  I was along that river earlier this year. I don't recall seeing the sluice gate but the evidence is pretty convincing that what I've stated is correct, eh?
KimH

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 12 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I know the area a little bit and my first thought (having lived in Bollington) is that I have never heard Bollington being described as Wimslow.   Sometimes "near Macclesfied" or "in "Parish of Prestbury" - but Wimslow is generally considered to be "somewhere else".

There are/were a number of mills in Bollington - the main ones being Clarence, Adelphi, Upper and Lower Mills. I don't remember a Bollin Mill but there may have been one once (or I just didn't see it).

Bollington gets its name from the River Bollin - which runs through Macclesfield and Wilmslow.  So - The Bollin Mill could quite conceivably be in or near Wilmslow and does not have to be in Bollington..

Although - hanes teulu's posting about the Bollin Mill does refer to Bollington rather than Wilmslow. It could be the one you are after - or could there have been two with the same name?

Not sure if you are aware of it - but there is a wonderful history centre in Bollington which is well worth a look. 
http://happy-valley.org.uk/discover/discover.htm  which has lots of photos of the area at
http://bollingtonphotos.co.uk/

They are also very helpful if you email them - and may be able to tell you where Bollin Mill is/was

Milly ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Simple!

Bollin Mill wasn't actually on the River Bollin but some distance away. If you search for Wilmslow on "Old Maps" and look at the 1882 1:10560 map you'll find its name written across the southern abutment of the railway viaduct.

Unfortunately its site is now occupied by a Ford garage and the Alderley Edge by-pass. Progress!

Ray

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 12 23:18 GMT (UK) »
SK9 1BN on old-maps pretty well hits the spot (just north of Bollin Walk), though on the equivalent 1874 1:2500 it's called 'Wilmslow Mill (Corn)'; 1898 just 'Corn Mill'. See also Cheshire e-maps: Bollin Fee plot 1572.
Further east of the mill is the railway viaduct, and beyond that Bollin Hall.
Postscript. I've ferreted a bit further. Seems this was a 19th-cent mill (though possibly on the site of a medieval corn mill). Does that fit in with the Roylance lease??

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 09:06 GMT (UK) »
...oops. The wording I pointed out isn't actually Bollin Mill. Looking again at the map - after Birtle's post - I think it actually says "Bollin Hall". My excuse is that "Hall" is absorbed in a blob of ink and could say either but I think it says "Hall".

Whether Wilmslow Mill and Bollin Mill are one and the same, I am unsure.