Author Topic: Bollen [Bollin] Mills, Wilmslow - Does anyone know where in Wilmslow?  (Read 16149 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bollen [Bollin] Mills, Wilmslow - Does anyone know where in Wilmslow?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 12 May 13 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Joey - welcome to Rootschat ;D ;D

The original poster Nick has not been around for a while but he may see that you have posted here.

If not - thanks for posting. We had a good old chat about Bollin Mill and it is good to get additional confirmation of what was decided ;D ;D

Hope you will take a look around Rootschat and stick around for while

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roger_T

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 04 October 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
As this is a pretty old tread, I don't know if Joey.t is still following, however, if so, I wonder if you would be prepared to share an electronic copy of your picture of Bollin Mill, Wilmslow?

RogerT

Offline jimbach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:50 BST (UK) »
im surprised that no one mentioned  oversley brickworks....  the chimney was a good landmark....sited above the bollin at the end of runway one at ringway ..... all went for the new runways    jimbach

Offline Roger_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 01 April 24 10:29 BST (UK) »
im surprised that no one mentioned  oversley brickworks....  the chimney was a good landmark....sited above the bollin at the end of runway one at ringway ..... all went for the new runways    jimbach

The brother of a friend operated a car storage business from the site of Oversley Brickworks, for a while.

Offline Roger_T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 01 April 24 10:35 BST (UK) »
The only remaining part of the lade (I think) can be seen on the Wilmslow park side of the bypass. You'd probably have to look pretty hard as it's quite overgrown there now.
This lade continued under the road and ended at the weir in Wilmslow park.

As for remains of the old mill goes, the whole area was redeveloped, i think, if you could see anything, it would be around the old river wall underneath the bridge on manchester road. I may have a pop down there tomorrow. ( I live in walking distance).

Along Wilmslow Park South, there's a small bridge, a short distance south-west of the bridge over the River Bollin, which passed over the mill lade. The path of the lade can be identified by following the tree-line to the east from that point.

Millbank House is the building which was originally Wilmslow Corn Mill.