Author Topic: WW1 Medal Card.  (Read 1478 times)

Offline SUFFOLK BOY

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 Medal Card.
« on: Monday 09 January 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,Could anyone decipher my grandads medal card please,front and back any help would be great thanks Neil.
Brown and Oakley family Glemsford and Lavenham Suffolk,Simpson, Stewart/Steward,Hartley,Hardy family all Lavenham. Pepper family Herringswell, Wakerley & Suffolk.Chapman and Pattle family  Suffolk. Desmond family from cork Ireland and London. Anybody wants information on the Brown family from Suffolk let me know would be glad to help.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Medal Card.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 12 21:10 GMT (UK) »
He was a Territorial Force Soldier in 5th Battalion.
Entitled to 1915 Star,British War and Victory Medals PLus Indian General Service Medal and Territorial Efficiency Medal.

He first went overseas in 1915 and looks to have served in Gallipoli(2b Balkans is usually code for this)
They landed at Suvla Bay on the date of entry

The IGS is for relief of Malabar its dated 1925 is the application...Its possible his record is still with MOD ??
The Malabar clasp itself is dated 1921-22 but he also has TF efficiency medal
Wartime service counted double towards this and the last number on card is definately Post WW1
He would have been with 1st Suffolks in India.Supressing an uprising

To start with :)

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline SUFFOLK BOY

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 12 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Ady,It makes sense now as he married in 1925 in Lavenham Suffolk,so have I got to go to London for the records?If they do exist.
Brown and Oakley family Glemsford and Lavenham Suffolk,Simpson, Stewart/Steward,Hartley,Hardy family all Lavenham. Pepper family Herringswell, Wakerley & Suffolk.Chapman and Pattle family  Suffolk. Desmond family from cork Ireland and London. Anybody wants information on the Brown family from Suffolk let me know would be glad to help.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Its debatable whether the records survive....I would think he was back in UK after his stint in India 21-22 and then you say he married in 25 is there any occupation on his wedding cert? as he looks to have been a Territorial though attached to 1st Batt in India.
It costs £30 to get records(free to Next Of Kin) you have to fill out a form on the Veterans Agency site and send it off and wait about 6 months to see if they can find anything!!
70% of records were destroyed in WW2 but if he was still serving in the 20s and 30s there is a good chance his records survived as they were in different place

Heres link
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelRecordsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.