Author Topic: Doyle, Kensilla, Collins from Leighlinbridge, Leighlinford, Madlin, Agha parish  (Read 9022 times)

Offline ellen1159

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greetings!  I am a descendant of Collinses, Kinsellas and Doyles from Carlow, specifically from Agha parish, Idrone barony, Leighlinbridge.  I hope to find others researching the same names. 

There is a possibility that my great-great grandfather Patrick Doyle was from Wexford, but he married Mary Kinsella in Leighlinford in Feb. 1865, four months before their son Denis was born in Leighlinbridge.   In 1869 the three emigrated to the US and settled in Greenwich, Conn. 

I dont' know Patrick's exact birth year (varies between 1824-1839) nor place, nor parent's names (I think his father's name was Denis, if the naming tradition holds).

His wife Mary was the daughter of Gerald Kinsella and Bridget "Biddy" Collins, who were married in Leighlinbridge in 1829.  Mary had an older sister, Ann, born about 1830, who went to America and resided with the Doyles in Connecticut while she worked as a maid.  I never found a death record for her in the US so I wondered if she may have come back to Co. Carlow. 

I found a record in the 1901 Census for an Ann Kinsella, a spinster living at 11  Chapel St., Leighlinbridge, who was the right age (70).   Is it possible to locate a civil or church death record for this person that would possibly indicate this person's parents names so I can verify if she is my relation?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle, Kensilla, Collins from Leighlinbridge, Leighlinford, Madlin, Agha parish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I found a record in the 1901 Census for an Ann Kinsella, a spinster living at 11  Chapel St., Leighlinbridge, who was the right age (70).   Is it possible to locate a civil or church death record for this person that would possibly indicate this person's parents names so I can verify if she is my relation?

Ann was born well before the start of civil records so you would need to check for church records for a possible baptism. Death certs dont name parents.

see :  Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ellen1159

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle, Kensilla, Collins from Leighlinbridge, Leighlinford, Madlin, Agha parish
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Shane.  I've gotten most of my birth records from an Irish  website that charges 5euros per lookup  (IFHS? Name escapes me at the moment.)   For my Irish ancestors who died in the US, their death certificates ask for the parents' names and I've been fortunate in that most of them contained first and last names.  I was hoping Irish civil records had the same info, but alas....

Thanks for writing back.

Ellen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
that website would be RootsIreland or Irish Family History Foundation, the records they have are mostly parish records - so baptisms etc... unfortunately they dont have any Carlow records at the moment.

Some Church of Ireland parish records for the county are available (free) on www.irishgenealogy.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ellen1159

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
that website would be RootsIreland or Irish Family History Foundation... unfortunately they dont have any Carlow records at the moment.

]

Yes, I've been waiting for them to offer the RC parish records. 

Do you happen to know if the LDS has microfilms of the RC church registers for Agha parish, Leighlinbridge, from 1800 to the 1880's?   Besides her older sister Ann, my gggrandmother Mary Kensilla Doyle had at least two brothers and a younger sister born in the area between 1841 and 1849.  I thought I might find marriage or death records for them.

Thanks again for your swift response!  I wasn't sure how active this forum is (I usually post on Ancestry.com in the US).

Ellen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: ellen1159 link=topic=574981.msg4273386#msg4273386
Do you happen to know if the LDS has microfilms of the RC church registers for Agha parish, Leighlinbridge, from 1800 to the 1880's?   

Agha is a civil or Church or Ireland parish - is it Church of Ireland or RC records you are interested in ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline ellen1159

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 13:12 GMT (UK) »
RC church records.  I only have the place names Leighlinbridge, Leighlinford, Old Leighlin, Madlin and Ballinolan (not sure if I have the correct spelling of this last one) as birth or marriage locations for my ancestors.  I don't know the RC church parish name(s) for any of them.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 13:14 GMT (UK) »
The RC parish for the area is Leighlinbridge and it covered eight civil parishes, including Agha. Historic records go back to the 1780s, with some large gaps - e.g. baptisms missing between 1786 and 1819, and marriages between 1788 and 1820.

NLI Film reference is Pos. 4195, and there's also an LDS film reference - British Film Area 1363869    

The town/townland of Leighlinbridge is in the civil parish of Agha and the RC parish of Leighlinbridge. I'll check the other locations...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Old Leighlin town & townland are in Oldleighlin civil parish and Leighlinbride RC parish, as is Ballynolan/Ballinolan. Bally/Ballina derives from the Irish for town Baile

I dont see anywhere named Madlin or similar in Carlow at the moment. You can check the townland and placename databases at http://www.thecore.com/seanruad and www.logainm.ie to see if anything looks familiar.

I didn't find anywhere named Leighlinford either - my guess is that might relate to the river crossing at Leighlin - maybe an older name for the town.

Shane
My Surname Interests