Author Topic: Did this family group leave the UK after 1891?  (Read 3837 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Did this family group leave the UK after 1891?
« on: Wednesday 11 January 12 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find evidence of this family group in the UK for a number of years now. I found them in the 1891 census and before, but not in the 1901 or 1911. Would it be possible for someone to check passengers list to see if they left the UK after 1891? Here are the details of the family in 1891:
In 1891 the family are living in Black House Yard, Atherstone, Warwickshire
Details of the family are:
Ann Morris (nee Udall/Newdall), born 22 Jan 1860, a Hat Trimmer; born Sutton on the Hill, Derbyshire.
Ernest William Morris born 1883 in Atherstone, Wks, her son;
Samuel Morris, her husband, born 1860 in Atherstone, Warwickshire, a Hatter.

I have been unable to find any trace of any of them post 1891, (There was another Ernest William (Angrave) Morris born in Atherstone at the same time as the Ernest William above who is unrelated, there was also another Ernest William Morris again born in Atherstone in 1897).

If anyone can help me to trace this family post 1891 it would be appreciated. This has been one of my "brick walls" for several years now.

Many thanks,

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did this family group leave the UK after 1891?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Andy
Sorry but I have had a look and there were 17 samuels leaving Britain over a period of time, though it is difficult to know who or even if any of them are yours. No place of birth mentioned just datails such as sex, married or single etc and none had an Ann or Ernest accompnaying him. There was a Samuel Morrish left Southampton for America in March 1911 with a Ernest Morrish but no Ann and I don't know how you could find out if it were them.
Couldn't find a 1901 or 1911 census for any of them or a death for Samuel or Ann, as you say they just disappear. I tried looking for Ernest William Morris and again couldn't find him either  so I can see why the question mark over whether they had emmigrated.
I was hopeful when I saw the Ernest William Angarve in 1911 as his occupation was Felt Hatter, thinking both parents were hatter/hat trimmer then I reread your post and realised wrong one.
Sorry couldn't be more helpful
Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Manders - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for looking Lottee.

Much appreciated.

I wonder if I will ever find out? I have been going round in circles for so long!

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Ann's Sister Mary and husband also seemed to disappear but after the 1901 census - no trace in the 1911 census. I don't know if there is a link, but here are their details:

John Thompson born 1864 in Witherley, Leicestershire
Mary Thompson (formally Udall, originally spelt Nudall) born 1858 in Church Broughton Derbyshire
They were married in Atherstone, Warwickshire  in 1884
In the 1901 census Mary is living with her husband John Thompson at 85, Stockwell Head, Hinckley. There are no children present.

Could they have emigrated as a group?

It would be useful to find them and if anyone can help it would be appreciated? 

Andy

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 12 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Andy, as soon as I have a moment will look again taking into account the other names you have supplied

Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 12 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Lottee - It would be nice to solve this mystery - Andy

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Andy

Found a John Thompson in 1911 living at 29 Melville Street, Coalville, Leics. He was a widower born in Witherly, Warwick 1860, a shot in the dark?? I gather Witherly sits on the Warwickshire - Leicstershire border. Will carry on looking.
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 12 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Lottie. It seems to fit and is highly likely to be him. Will have to look up wife's death in the BMD again, did not find before.

This  however, leaves us with the original mystery of what happened to Ann, Ernest and Samuel Morris.

I wonder if we will ever find out?

Thank you again,

Andy

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 12 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Andy

The registration district for Coalville is Ashby de la Zouch.

A Mary Thompson died in March qtr 1911 age 53 years, Ashby De la Zouch - Vol 7a Pge 77. 

If she was born in 1858 this would make her the age and possibly the correct person + would have died before the 1911 census. Obviously only death cert would confirm this or perhaps post a request on the look - up board on Rootschat to see if anyone would help you by looking up buriels in the local archives, it may have husbands name. Sometimes they do record the name of the spouse

Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire