Author Topic: Ancestral Books - how reliable?  (Read 7140 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral Books - how reliable?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 January 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
If the books they are selling are "out of copyright" then you are very likely to find them digitised online by checking google books,  archive.org and gutenberg.org

If you see one you are interested in take a look at these sites and read it for free!

Interesting link Dobfarm... I remember a few instances of spamming posts on rootschat last year along the lines of "I'm thinking of using this company what do people think?" or "I've found a great book on my family at this site". Various other genealogy sites have been targetted too. 

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 January 12 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I haven't used Ancestral Books so can't comment on them specifically but I have purchased a couple of books published by a similar  type of business. Basically they reprint old books that are out of copyright, the quality of the book depends upon the original author but usually if you find a book of interest, google and you will possibly find comments about it.

It is also worth checking the link below as you might find you can download the book for free.

http://www.archive.org/

Andy

Offline ramjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 January 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for the advice.  I have similar views regarding buying books showing the research of others and I am familair with archive.org - a great site.

Aplologies for not being clear with my query - the book I am interested in is a facsimile of a very old book and my question was about the reliability of the supplier in delivering on orders, etc.  Having said that, it seems from reading the message board link that there may be some issues.

Thanks again

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 January 12 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck   :) in your endours and remember its cost nothing to shop around for true value. ;)

Dob's

Ps Welcome to Rootschat website !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Tariana

• RootsChat Extra
  • My namesake, Miss Abbie Baity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 21:53 GMT (UK) »
A book is only as reliable as it's sources and in some cases how much information said sources are willing to provide.   ::)

I myself am in a fairly recent ancestry book written by a relative of a relative. The book isn't on my own ancestors, so I'm kind of a collateral relative in it.

In it, it states that my Gran and Pop did not have any children of their own (correct) and that they raised 1 child - my mother (incorrect, they raised my mom and aunt).
*Also they fail to mention that my Gran is my mom's first cousin.
It also states that I went to a university. (I actually went to a nearby community college.)
*It also fails to mention my aunt's three children, my cousins.

Ah... family drama.  ;D Mucking up information everywhere.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't know anything about the quality of their books or their service, but we have banned
at least 10 people (probably more) for spamming us with adverts about this firm..

And, as Dobfarm has seen, (reply #8), we are not the only ones.

Everybody can and will make their own decisions about this,
but I personally feel that any firm that uses such tactics should be viewed with caution.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 18:26 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of companies flogging printed facsimiles of old books - which are often sourced from the internet archive. Really you are paying for getting the book printed - the content is usually available for nothing.

If you want the book in print form there is no reason not to get one - I have a few and am very happy to have them.

Rather than buy direct from a supplier you can usually get them via Amazon - which will give you some added protection if the book doesn't turn up.

Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline kiwinzrobert

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 January 12 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I ordered a book from ancestral books five months ago. They have my money and I don't have my book. I would stay away from them. They have an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau. I have included the link

http://www.bbb.org/charlotte/business-reviews/books-wholesale/ancestral-books-in-indian-trail-nc-218206

Hope this helps.

Offline ramjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 January 12 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice - I think the BBB posting tells it all.  I hope you didn't lose a large sum.