Author Topic: Whatever happened tothe graveyard of St Marys Church Quarry Hill Leeds  (Read 9814 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened tothe graveyard of St Marys Church Quarry Hill Leeds
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 January 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Your best bet is ask the Librarian - she has a File drawer index and computer info of her catalogue at her finger tips also they have some MI's and other info on St Mary's Quarry hill Leeds.

http://www.yas.org.uk/content/contact.html

Mind you Stan's doing a good job already  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 January 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
The graveyard was still there last year, however only a handful of headstones are there. The building at the top side of the school is the old presbytery cum Sunday school.
Leeds suffered badly from cholera epidemics in the 1800s and St Mary's graveyard was used extensively for the burial of victims.
There is an excellent aerial photo of St Mary's on the Leodis web site and some shots of the surrounding streets.
I was told by a librarian at Leeds central library that there were no records of burials at St Mary's.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 January 12 09:46 GMT (UK) »
My memory may be playing tricks on me  ;D but I'm sure that I was told that burials at St Mary's were recorded in the  St Peter's register, with the note that the burial was actually at St Mary.  If I could remember who I was looking for at the time, I might be able to confirm it.  ::) ::)

BumbleB

Amended:  Yes, St Mary burials are entered at St Peter, with the note in the entry to say "at St Mary" 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline yorkshire grandma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 January 12 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for the very useful and informative information I am receiving.
I now have a copy of a burial record Jan 1837 for Lawrence from the Parish Church  with "buried at St Marys" written on it for the site of burial.I know that Lawrence Anthony was RC so had been searching in RC chapels.
It is looking as though the burials are still in the old graveyard of St Marys and have been landscaped over.
I will try to confirm this with the various web sites and resources suggested in the posts to me.
A friend has lent me " To Prove I'm not Forgot" by Sylvia Barnard which is giving me a good picture of the social history of the area in 19th Century. Also has a good chapter on the Chapeltown Barracks where Lawrence was stationed, and mentions the 5th Dragoon as being regularly stationed there.Reading the history and conditions of service and of the surrounding area it is amazing any of them survived.
What a helpful chatroom this has been.
Angela

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 January 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
St Mary's graveyard looking towards Mabgate (The City of Mabgate Inn is visible through the trees).

Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline yorkshire grandma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 January 12 13:47 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much for this photo.Wonderful.

I will make a visit in the Spring and take a walk around the park. I am about 2 hours journey away so worth the drive.

Thanks once again

Angela

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 January 12 16:25 GMT (UK) »
On 25th April 1842 a Mr. Robert Baker, of Leeds, gave evidence before a select committee of the House of Commons, which was confirmed by the vicar's churchwarden; showing the number of graves in the three parochial burial grounds belonging to the churches of St. Peter and St. Mary, in the township of Leeds to be 9,600, as follows :
St. Peter's church yard 1,978
St. Peter's new burial ground 3,689
St. Mary's burial ground 3,933
In these graves he stated that there had been interred 142,293 corpses......The new  ground  provided by the town council at Burmantofts, was opened in August, 1845, for the burial of the dead, but owing to a dispute respecting the fees to be paid to the vicar and the clerk in orders but few internments took place therein, and the old grounds continued to be used until the 30th of November 1847, when the bishop of the diocese on the recommendation of the vicar, consented to the closing of those places.

The Annals and History of Leeds, 1860. Google Books

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 January 12 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Monumental Inscriptions held by the
Yorkshire Archaeological Society

LEEDS, St Mary CE
MI Two volumes of 446 handwritten records for this Church which was built on Quarry Hill 1823-26 and demolished 1979. Sketch plan only. Includes index.
http://www.yas.org.uk/content/moninsc.html
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth