Author Topic: Von Broembsen and Douglas, Aliwal North  (Read 17074 times)

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Von Broembsen and Douglas, Aliwal North
« on: Thursday 12 January 12 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My Great Uncle, William Percival Douglas married Mabel Sophia von Broembsen, 5 Feb 1907 at Christ Church Aliwal North. Percy, as he was known was a lawyer in the area. They had one daughter, Louise Elsie Douglas. She married Hendrick Francois de Wet, and had two daughter Karen and Sandra and a son Hendrick (Henry).
We have lost touch with this line of our family and would love to reconnect. Anyone know this family?

Any information about the family is welcome :o)
 :)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Von Broembsen and Douglas, Aliwal North
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 12 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi I found a document in this archive when I typed in the name. Try this link. http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm200gi.

Then click on the RSA repository box, when it opens type in Douglas William Percival and enter. A list of documents will appear, just click on Result Summary. The Genealogical Society of South Africa has a "pay to use" service which will enable you to obtain pictures of documents held in the National Archives.

Go to http://www.eggsa.org and select Content --> On Line Shop --> order Archive documents.  Once you have selected the currency, select "Enter the Shop" and then select "Archive photos" (in yellow on the blue band) and follow the instructions.

Much quicker than trying to get the Archives to reply to your e-mail requests!!  Good luck Derek.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 12 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pam

Sadly EGGSA is not able to order copies from KAB. My mom and dad are going to have to visit the Cape archives in person, later this year (when they visit SA). I hope that the archive will be an 'easy' visit, as they won't have a lot of time.

Any direct experience with the Cape Archive?

Thank you for the tip  :o)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 January 12 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi perhaps someone on this forum knows of a researcher who can visit the archives and hand transcribe the records.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline chrismargo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hello

My Great Uncle, William Percival Douglas married Mabel Sophia von Broembsen, 5 Feb 1907 at Christ Church Aliwal North. Percy, as he was known was a lawyer in the area. They had one daughter, Louise Elsie Douglas. She married Hendrick Francois de Wet, and had two daughter Karen and Sandra and a son Hendrick (Henry).
We have lost touch with this line of our family and would love to reconnect. Anyone know this family?

Any information about the family is welcome :o)
 :)

Hello
I have just come accross this enquiry, and am happy to tell you that I am a descendant of the abovementioned.

My late father was Hendrik Francois, his sisters are Karen and Sandra
My Granny Louise Elsie de Wet passed away in 1982 at the age of 72.

Karen married Max
Sandra married Cedric
Hendrik Married Paulina Eckhardt (both deceased) and they had 3 children , Margaretha (Margo) (me) Born in my brother Hendrik Francois  and youngest brother Andre

I married Rodney Cecil Muller who passed away and am married to Christopher

Would love to know more about yourself and how we are related.  Kind regards  Margo Brown

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
Oh my GOODNESS, oh my goodness!! Doing the happy dance and sending you a PM!!!!

We've been looking for you for so long!!

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Margo,
Welcome to Rootschat:) As rootschat is generally about finding ancestors we try and keep living people private to prevent identity fraud etc. I will modify your post so that just the basics are there for future reference. So glad you found your family though.... I hope you are corresponding through PM although you may need to post 3 times before the messaging system is activated for you. I could not send this as Pm earler.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrismargo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
THank so much

Offline dhy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Margo et al
My grandmother was Constance von Broembsen, sister of Mamie (Mabel). They all lived in Hunt street in Aliwal North. As a child we holidayed in Aliwal and I admired Sandra and Karen who were 'big' girls. I also knew Dooley (Hendrik) and Pauline.
My gran married Gideon Gabriel Visser. I am trying like mad to find out anything I can about him. Know anything? He was mayor of Aliwal for a number of years.
Good luck with your hunt.
Duvina Yule (nee Visser)