Author Topic: Travelling to Queensland from Victoria in 1859  (Read 1978 times)

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Travelling to Queensland from Victoria in 1859
« on: Friday 13 January 12 11:16 GMT (UK) »
How would you have travelled from Melbourne to Brisbane in 1859?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Travelling to Queensland from Victoria in 1859
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 January 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
By ship and/or overland .... perhaps via the Darling River to say Fort Bourke NSW in the outback  or by coastal trader ships up the eastern seaboard  OR by horse or bullock wagon/s

Have you tried Trove and read newspaper accounts of th early settlement for Qldin that era ?

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 12 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have read Trove and checked shipping.  I have hundreds of pages on him covering years 1863 to 1918 in Queensland.  The earliest reference was unclaimed mail in 1863 at Gayndah.  He was one of the Maryborough (Qld) Pioneers but never a mention of his arrival into Australia.

Thanks

Princess

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 12 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have read Trove and checked shipping.  I have hundreds of pages on him covering years 1863 to 1918 in Queensland.  The earliest reference was unclaimed mail in 1863 at Gayndah.  He was one of the Maryborough (Qld) Pioneers but never a mention of his arrival into Australia.

Thanks

Princess

Hi Princess,

In that era, movements between the colonies did not always result in written passenger lists.   

This was an era without the need to obtain government permission to move from one colony to any other colony within the British Empire and as Queensland was being established in 1859 (formally hived off from NSW Dec 1859) then perhaps that "new" colony was the attraction.   

Some of the reasons may well include

;) the lack of experienced clerks to record the movements, due in part to the mass exodus of civil servants who, like so many others, were caught up with gold fever episodes throughout Vic and NSW etc.
 ;) freight  (livestock and deadstock as well as capital items) was frequently fully detailed on manifests, and summarised in the newspapers but it would be unusual for ordinary folk to expect their names to be as fully detailed in the newspapers
 ;) individuals, and individual families were self sufficient and adventurous, and willing to simply pack up and move hundreds and hundreds of miles "under their own steam" to the next "greener pastures" that caught their attention. Afterall, many had come half way around the globe enduring long sea voyages under harsh conditions.  
 :) They simply did not need to complete any application forms to migrate from the new colony of Victoria to the newer colony of Queensland.

Hope this very brief summary helps, although I am somewhat confused as to why you specifically are asking about 1859.   Do you have already have documentation that shows you that the person was actually in Melbourne, or in fact, anywhere in Victoria in 1859?

Cheers,  JM   

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 12 02:13 GMT (UK) »

My lot did that trip by foot ...... wife and kids and what little baggage they had.  They had sailed from Ireland to Scotland, then on to New Zealand, thence to Melbourne.  Then they walked up to North Queensland.  All in search of gold. 

The shipping is the only records we have for them... but we know they walked because they left personal notes about their journey.

Adventurous ain't the word majm.... ;D

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 12 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Similar stories found in my family's private papers too Karenlee  ;D  I agree, re "Adventurous" but not sure if I should type up the word that comes to mind  ;D

Cheers,  JM

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 January 12 02:18 GMT (UK) »

My bloke then dumped wife and kids in far NQ and took off over to WA...... died there about 20 years later.  He took some finding I can tell you... :o
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 January 12 02:23 GMT (UK) »
I guess the wife said "Enough is Enough" FNQ is where I will stop and raise our children, SEND funds regular like or else  ;D, so he just turned west and kept walking  ;)

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 January 12 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Princess,

I know it is very hard to find the paperwork like majm's says not much exist for ordinary folks.

I only found that my lot travelled by ship as one of the children was born at sea and then only as the birth cert had an "M" next to it for Marine birth. The birth wasn't actually registered until 17years later - I found all this while up in FNQ doing the research.

So be patient keep looking and expect things to turn up in the most unusual places and remember more stuff is coming online on trove all the time.

mabeljessie
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock