Author Topic: Downloading images from ancestry - difference between chrome and FF  (Read 804 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Downloading images from ancestry - difference between chrome and FF
« on: Saturday 14 January 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Has anyone else noticed when downloading images of census returns etc through Chrome browser they are much much less resolution than in Firefox and does anyone have any idea why this should be?

For instance I downloaded the same census return via Chrome - 63kb and unreadable.  Firefox - 174kb and much more readable.

Tried it with some others and the same results.  Both browsers I now have to right click on the image as the big orange Save button on the ancestry page no longer works. 

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading images from ancestry - difference between chrome and FF
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 12 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

I don't think it is to do with the browser you use, it is the level of zoom that you have selected when you download the image. To avoid the problems with saving through Ancestry's Save button, I always now save by zooming in all the way into an image (200%), then right clicking the image, and clicking "Save image as...". The key is to be zoomed in as far as possible when you do this, so that you have the highest resolution image to work with.

Alexander

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading images from ancestry - difference between chrome and FF
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 12 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Arr thank you!  I'll try that with the next one.  I was getting very frustrated!

Kerry  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....