Author Topic: J. A. "Jock " McNeil  (Read 11476 times)

Offline David Morrill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: J. A. "Jock " McNeil
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Did not realize it was you. When I first saw the photo, I posted, I thought the same thing you did. This is a similar photo set up to about six of the Atlanta racers I have seen including Harry Glenn. They all look to have been taken in front of the same section, and may have been taken at the same time. 

Jock's bike was described as a special, with the JAP engine coming in from England. The use of Indian forks, a handmade tank and frame, leads me to believe you're probably right. and this is Jock McNeil from Scotland on his JAP Special. It matches the special description in the Atlanta articles I've seen. Specials were often conglomerations of parts from different companies, like the bikes Maldwyn Jones raced over the years.

I think over the years the two McNeils have been merged into one. Because J.A. lived longer, and worked for several racing teams, he has been given credited for most of the accomplishments of both McNeils.

I went back and checked the Atlanta Constitution Articles on Jock's death in Atlanta. Apparently Jocks brother arrived in Atlanta on the Monday after his death. He had come down to see his brother race, and had not heard of his death. The article says his brother worked for the Indian Motorcycle Company in Springfield, MA. There is no mention in the Constitution of him being buried in Atlanta. I searched the online records for Atlanta Cemeteries, and couldn't find, but I suspect he's buried there.

You are probably also right about J.A. McNeils war injuries. I read that in a Bicycling Magazine article, which solicited readers to write him with well wishes. These articles often over, or under state injuries. I found one the other day, on another famous racer, who received "minor injuries" in a crash, which was actually a skull fracture.

Maybe someday, we will sort out the McNeils stories, but I think we're on the same page.

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Amazing what you find on genealogy forums  ;D

It would have been expensive to send Jocks (the Scot) body back to Scotland, so most likely it did not happen.

No doubt his brother arranged the funeral ? I wonder if other relatives of Jock were in the States.

Interesting that his brother worked for the Indian Company!

I to have searched for his burial ...found nothing so far or of his origins. Trouble is there are thousands of Jock McNeils.   

I wonder if any of the good folk on this forum can help find his burial?  (Jock McNeil (the Scot) Atlanta.  ..............Could his burial be at Springfield.?
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline David Morrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 27 January 14 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Nigel,

Here is the Atlanta Constitution Article on Jock McNeil's death - August 21, 1913. It seems to confirm he was buried in Atlanta, GA., but only mentions the Funeral Chapel, and not the cemetery. I have been unable to locate his grave in Find A Grave.com.[/img][/img]

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 11:32 GMT (UK) »
David thanks for posting that news paper item.

I wonder if he was cremated?
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline David Morrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 09 February 14 17:30 GMT (UK) »
It looks like "Jock" was used as a nickname for a Scot at the time. If that's the case, there's no telling what his real first and middle name really were. I've run him every way I can think of, without luck. I'm sure he's probably buried somewhere around Atlanta, but I've searched all the internment records I've found, and found nothing. Maybe someone will come across more info.

Offline David Morrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Nigel,

Found his true name. James "Jock" McNeil. Article is from the Brooklyn, NY. Daily Eagle - September 11, 1912.

Offline David Morrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: J. A. McNeil
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 21:44 GMT (UK) »
This July 1, 1915 article from the Winnipeg Tribune is about J.A. McNeil. I am working on a blog article on my Deadly Dave's Blog to unravel the story of these two early racers, that have been merged into one over the last 100 years. Should be out next month.

Offline David Morrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
I've completed my Deadly Dave's Blog story "A Tale of Two McNeils. Here's a link to the story of J. A. McNeil, and James "Jock" McNeil.

The story of early motordrome racer/engineer J. A. "Jock" McNeil is a part of early motorcycle racing history. There's only one small problem with the story. There were two J. McNeils racing at that time, and their story has been combined over the last 100 years. Time to untangle their stories. My latest Deadly Dave's Blog story does that in "A Tale of Two McNeil." Check it out!

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-tale-of-two-mcneils.html