Author Topic: CROSSMAN Berwick  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CROSSMAN Berwick
« on: Sunday 15 January 12 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters

Can anyone help find the possible baptism for William CROSSMAN?
From his Army Record he was a Tailor born 1750 a native of Berwick
From his burial record he was born 1759.
William had his own children baptised by a Presbyterian minister so perhaps his own baptism may has been Presbyterian?

William Crossman married Mary Gilchrist, 24 Dec 1781. Berwick M000222
Would anyone know their parents or witnesses?

I cannot find much evidence of the Crossman family in the area during this time. The only other marriage I have found is
Marriage William Redyard and Mary Crossman, 21 Oct 1764. Berwick M000222

Can anybody help please?
Regards

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CROSSMAN Berwick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 12 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Interesting that there is a Margaret Gilchrist Crossman baptism in Berwick High Meeting House 21 Aug 1831 d/o Alexander Crossman and his wife Eleanor, grocer.

I looked in several of the transcripts (C of E, Presby) I have of the Berwick area from the 1700's.  Most are 1771 or after though.  No Crossman's until the 1820 and past that I could find.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 12 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janis
Thank you for your help. It is significant that there were no Crossmans in the area.

The baptism you mention would be the granddaughter of William and Margaret and the daughter of their son
Alexander, born at Tweedmouth to William and Margaret Crossman. Born 30 Dec 1797 baptised by a Presbyterian minister - Holy Island baptism

William said when he joined the army that he was 'a native of Berwick' but was possibly from Devon. He gave his trade as 'tailor' are there any apprentice records for Berwick?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Regards
Ros

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 12 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Maybe someone could answer the tradesmen apprentice records.  I haven't a clue.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 12 16:57 GMT (UK) »
While looking for something else I came upon several baptisms that took place at Holy Island.  Several children to William Crossman, gunner, native of Berwick by his wife Margaret Gilchrist, native of Tweedmouth.  These baptism were in the very early 1800's

Janis

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 12 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I do not think there is any doubt that William Crossman lived and died on Holy Island the question is where he was born 1750-1759

From his Army service record his profession was Tailor.
William Crossman a Gunner of Invd Batt Royal Regt of Artillery -William Crossman of Berwick upon Tweed  born abt 1750 Berwick upon Tweed. Attested 1.1.1773 aged 23- Trade was Tailor – discharged after 48 years in 1821 at Holy Island
His burial gives his birth year as 1759.
William Crossman buried in March 1843 aged 84 at Holy Island.

Sir Peter Douglas Crossman research shows that William Crossman was born in Burrington, Devon but I could not find the records to support this but then neither could I find a baptism for him in Berwick although when he attested for the army in 1773 he said he was 'of Berwick' and at his sons baptism in 1803 he says he was 'a native of Berwick'.

The Crossman family have no real presence in the Berwick area but are widespread in Devon and Cornwall. I have loads of William Crossman baptisms from that area but none that really 'fit'. The family were however NC so perhaps his baptism either never happened or is lost.

Offline LaLisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 January 22 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
William Crossman is my direct ancestor. I have come to pretty much the same dead end as you.

The old family research book does imply that he was born in Devon. But it doesn't make sense that he stated he was from Berwick in his army records. He travelled with the army to Jamaica and some of his kids were born there it seems.

Perhaps he moved to Berwick when he was really young and so saw himself as being of Berwick?

I do wonder what made the connection  with Holy Island as two of his kids clearly ran the fishing operation out of Holy Island for many years.

They lived in the white House which is now a hotel looking out to sea and the harbour in the village on Holy Island. William's grave is in the cemetery there. I visited it last summer. So I think looking at any fishing business records might be a place to look.

The crossman family also set up a library on the island.

You probably know his descedent Robert Crossman became a wealthy brewer ended up buying most of Holy Island.

I hope you have visited it is really worth a trip.

LT