Author Topic: Winster - Salt, Foxlow, Rains and Staley  (Read 4746 times)

Offline Dino25

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Winster - Salt, Foxlow, Rains and Staley
« on: Wednesday 23 June 04 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

Would anyone have further info on these names in Winster. I have gained a lot of info from the Winster Ancestry WebPage so would be particularly interested in pre 1700.

Thanks in anticipation

:P  Pete Salt c/o Dino25
Webb, Rigden, Pattenden - WHITSTABLE
Hamblin, Wells - W.SHEFFORD Berkshire
Hamblin, Adams, Galifeant - WEST HAM
Olive, Chapman - WOOLWICH
Rigden, Granger - CANTERBURY
Simmons, Ward - NOTTING HILL

Offline sallanson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re:Winster - Salt, Foxlow, Rains and Staley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 04 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, Pete  :)

I thought the following might interest you:

The Staley/Staveley Database - A family historian's finding aid.

The Staley database is being compiled from:

Parish registers
Transcripts of parish registers
Wills
Census returns
County histories
IGI
and many other sources

My original hope was to find "my" Staleys and the origins of the name.  Currently, my hope is to form a central finding aid for everyone interested in the name of Staley or any of the variant names which appear to have been derived from Staley, just as Staley appears to have been derived from the name of Staveley.

The database is a two-name study - Staley and Staveley - containing over 20,000 names.  The database is a finding tool only.  If the information I send seems to be what you are looking for, check it out against primary sources.   I cannot emphasize this too strongly.  If you find that I have sent you incorrect information, it would help other researchers if you send me the correction.

Another function of the database is to put people, who may be interested in the same family, in touch with each other.  This can only be done if, in return for the information I send you, you let me have your Staley or Staveley family/families.

Your query will be entered on the computer and tagged, so that, when I find further information that might be of  interest, you will be notified.

I am happy to make an initially free search in return for a sae or two IRCs.  If this results in just a small amount of information, this will be sent to you free of charge.  I will notify you first if the search results in a large printout, as there will be a charge of £3.00 (UK) or £5.00 (abroad, sterling only).

The Staley/Staveley Database

is being compiled by

Mrs S Allanson
34 Cloutsham Street
Northampton NN1 3LN
England

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sandra.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Winster - Salt, Foxlow, Rains and Staley
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 04 15:08 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting Dawn who runs the Winster page? If not, it might help you if she did a lookup in the settlement certificates - your families may have come from elsewhere and if that is the case then the settlement certificates are your best shot. Ask Dawn though, she knows a lot more than she has time to put on the website.
If she can't help then you could try starting with the least common name and search the IGI for all entries in Derbyshire and see if there are any naming patterns which look familiar in other villages - that will be pretty hard to prove though!
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann from Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Winster - Salt, Foxlow, Rains and Staley
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 September 04 15:37 BST (UK) »
RAINS of WINSTER: My husband's family were from Winster. The last of our branch to live there was his grandfather, JOHN SAMUEL who was born in 1855. Are we related? We would be pleased to hear from you.

Ann Rains
Lenhart(all areas): Beaumont, Steele, Phillips (Sussex): Daniels,  Kanngiesser (London): Lally (Ireland, London, Sussex): Mitchelhill (Scotland, London): Roberts (Kent): Excell (Kent, Sussex): Spice (Kent):Rains (Derbys, Nottingham): Greatorex (Derbys): Guy (Leics, Nottingham): Calcraft (Leics) Hebden, Willey (Yorks): Palmer (Lincs)