Author Topic: Flower Class Corvette Loosestrife 1943  (Read 6522 times)

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flower Class Corvette Loosestrife 1943
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 February 20 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi seaweed, i've had a look at dads papers, not sure whats what but! earliest date i can see is
Gordon 22-1-43 ?? to Middlesbrough 27-1-43.
I dont know if this a ship or was it a training place down in Gravesend.
I now dont think the R. Casey on ship Arundo? my dad
All the best.
Derek
ps a few years ago i wrote to the Russian embassy to ask them to recognise the old navy & merchant navy lads who had passed away, i was hoping they would award posthumously the Russian medal that i'de heard about being given out to our remaining merchant & royal navy lads, i thought it was wrong
that just because these brave men had passed thier contribution did not go away, at the time of writing this the name of the Russian medal i cant think of its name, began with a K, my dad did one russian convoy on Empire Celia, he got the Commemorate medals 3.
I know the old lads have passed but thier families would have greatly treasured the award.
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 February 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Are you thinking of the Russian Medal of Ushakov or the British Arctic Star?
GORDON would be the Training School at Gravesend.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 February 20 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi seaweed, dad got his Arctic Star, he had passed away before government finaly awarded the Russian convoy campaign medal, yes I ment the Ushakov medal, as I stated because these brave lads have passed away thier contribution and sacrifice didn't, veterans families, grandchildren and great grandchildren should know what the lads of Royal & Merchant navy endured, who know's how much longer world war two would have gone on with out the Arctic convoys to Russia.
I did some years ago write to the Russian Embassy asking for them ( Russian government) to consider awarding the
Ushakov medal, would have been nice to get a reply.
Yes the Russian's did award the vets the Comm medal before our government got around to it.
All the best.
Derek

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 February 20 12:32 GMT (UK) »
If my late father returned to the UK after convoy ONS5 and crossed US border and signed up for return to UK  on small merchant Gydnia, can any one tell me the code number of convoy return to UK?
Many thanks.
Derek

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 February 20 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Convoy ONS5 sailed from Liverpool on 21/April/1943 Arrived Halifax NS on 12/May/43
I cannot find a ship called GYDNIA are you sure its not GYDA  official number 167564. Ex Danish registered in London UK in 1940?
If so she probably sailed from Halifax NS part of Convoy HX245
https://www.warsailors.com/convoys/hx245.html
To be 100% you need to look at the vessels Logbook.
You can download the movements of GYDA here
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8652358
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 February 20 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again seaweed, will try to get son to download for me.
Once again big thank you.
Derek

Offline Mpowered

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 19 December 22 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek i've recently come across this;
Immediately after putting the second torpedo into the Bristol City, Manke lined up his sights on the next ship astern, the 5,565-ton US-flag West Madaket, and fired a single torpedo, but due to a technical fault on the part of the U-boat, the American ship survived. Manke noted in his War Diary: Launch order given, but the torpedo stuck in the tube. A Mechanikersmaat [engineer’s mate] prodded it out with a mine ejector and it hit the target after a run of 118 seconds. A large explosion resulted amidships on the target and the steamer broke apart and destination was Cuba, where she was scheduled to pick up a cargo of sugar. At about 0230 on the 5th, all having been quiet since the torpedoing of the Harperley, Captain Phillips had decided to go below for a much needed break, but he had not been in his cabin for many minutes when the bridge telephone rang to report that the Bristol City had been hit. Phillips was back on the bridge of the Wentworth within seconds, and five minutes after he entered the wheelhouse, U-358 struck again. Phillips wrote in his report: At 0310 on 5th May in position 53° 59ʹN 43° 55ʹW, steaming at 6 knots on a course 220° (approx.), we were struck by a torpedo. The weather was cloudy but clear, it was just dark, and visibility was good. There was a moderate sea and swell and light variable airs. The torpedo struck on the port side, midships, in the stokehold. It was not a loud explosion, there was no flash or flame, and only a very small amount of water was thrown up. The funnel collapsed, the wireless room also collapsed, and all electricity failed. The main deck was split across midships, the port shell plates were cracked, and there was a hole in the ship’s side about 12 feet in diameter, extending about 3 feet above the waterline. When the Wentworth staggered under the blast of Rolf Manke’s torpedo, the Radio Officer on watch followed standard procedure by sending out a prearranged SOS to all ships, but this went no further than his Morse key. As in most merchant ships of the day, the Wentworth’s wireless aerial was suspended between her masts, and it had been brought down by the explosion.
Edwards, Bernard. From Hunter to Hunted: The U-Boat War in the Atlantic, 1939–1943 (p. 168). Pen & Sword Books. Kindle Edition.

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 19 December 22 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for reply, many years ago a lad contacted me, his grandfather served on flower class corvette's during the war, not on the flower dalss cirvette lossestriffe that picked my father up during convoy ONS 5, the lad in question very kindly sent me the captains report of thier ships being torpedoed, think i have 6, they make chilling reading. Its strange that all these years later since i started out finding out about my dad that little nuggets still crop up.
Thank you for time & kindness.
All the very best.
Derek