Author Topic: "COMPLETED" NATT/KAISER marriage South Australia 1884  (Read 9271 times)

Offline c more

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandmother
    • View Profile
"COMPLETED" NATT/KAISER marriage South Australia 1884
« on: Wednesday 18 January 12 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Hoping SKS can help sort this out please.
I have a marriage in Adelaide of Emma NATT father Joseph NATT to Arthur Edward KAISER father August KAISER 1 Apr 1884. (April fools day) ;D
The only Emma NATT I can find with father Joseph would have been only 16 going on 17 in 1884. She was born in South Australia but her family moved to Victoria around 1875.  As she had family in South Australia it is possible that she returned to visit family and married Arthur Edward KAISER. There are no children listed for the couple.
In 1887 Charlotte Veare KAISER is born in Adelaide, father Arthur Edward KAISER mother Charlotte Hannah HAMBLING.
1897 Marriage Hindmarsh South Australia, an Arthur Edward KAISER, father August Carl KAISER, marries Charlotte Rose LUSH, father Henry LUSH.
1895 Marriage Victoria, Emma NATT daughter of Joseph NATT marries William Henry CASH.
I believe that the marriage of Emma NATT and Arthur Edward KAISER was possible dissolved.
Is there any way I can prove this??
Also are Charlotte Hannah HAMBLING and Charlotte Rose LUSH the same person?
Cheers Leonie
NATT: Kent & Australia
HOUGH: Derbyshire & Australia
SEYMOUR: Chelsea London & Australia
AISH: Dorset & Australia
WALTERS/WALTER: South Australia & Victoria

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NATT/KAISER marriage South Australia 1884
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you compared the info given by the bride Emma Natt on each mc ... 1884  v 1895 ... including her signature ... and her status in 1895 ... How sure are you this is the same person?

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline c more

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM
I havent got the marriage certs to compare. I cannot be 100% sure, but NATT is not a common name.
There is only one Emma NATT with  father Joseph in Australia around that year,
unless she came from overseas.
Where would I find info on a dissolved or annulled marriage in South Australia?
I have looked at Trove but there is nothing about the marriage there.
If the Arthur KAISER mentioned in the articles on Trove is this same Arthur KAISER then he certainly found himself in a fair bit of trouble.
I found a marriage in 1881 in Adelaide  for a John BONHAM  father Abel BONHAM marrying a Charlotte Genever KAISER father August Christie KAISER .
This is interesting as Emma NATTs mothers name was Jane BONHAM whose fathers name was also Abel BONHAM.
This would suggest that the NATT,BONHAM,KAISER families knew one another.
Leonie
NATT: Kent & Australia
HOUGH: Derbyshire & Australia
SEYMOUR: Chelsea London & Australia
AISH: Dorset & Australia
WALTERS/WALTER: South Australia & Victoria

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I think you would need cetificates regardless of how unusual the surname especially as you suspect one person was married twice and another perhaps three times and then there is  another changes not just her surname but also her second given name

I would probably  start with the Victorian ones as they give perhaps the greatest depth of detail in the world while SA ones have so much less...

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Emma NATT born 1867 Langhorne, SA, daughter of Joseph NATT & Jane BONHAM who married 1895 VIC to William Henry CASH born Hobart, TAS, died 1947 at KATOOMBA, NSW. Her husband William Henry CASH died 1934 at MACKSVILLE, NSW.

Her father's obit in 1919 gives her married name as CASH:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4702517?searchTerm=%22jane%20natt%22&searchLimits=

Deaths:

CASH EMMA - parents: JOSEPH & JANE d. KATOOMBA 1947#5469
CASH WILLIAM H - parents: ISAAC & LOUISA d. MACKSVILLE 1934#9259

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18007137?searchTerm=%22emma%20cash%22&searchLimits=

Births:

CASH WILLIAM HENRY b. 24/12/1861 HOBART #4927/1862  RGD 33
Father: ISAAC
Mother: FURLONG LOUISA

NATT Emma b. 22/09/1867
Birth Place/Residence: Langhornes Creek: District Code: Str; Book: 59; Page: 446
Father: Joseph NATT
Mother: Jane BONHAM

Marriage - VIC:

CASH Wm Hy (b. Hobart) m. NATT Emma (b. Adelaide) 1895 #1203

As JM has previously said you will need this VIC marriage certificate to see if she was previously married.

You can purchase & download it for $17.50 from here:

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

This is the marriage you are referring to in SA:

KAISER Arthur Edward single age 22yrs m. NATT Emma single age 21yrs 01/04/1884
Place: United Methodist Church Adelaide; District: Ade; Book/Page: 139/278
Groom's Father: August KAISER
Bride's Father: Joseph NATT

IF this is her then she has raised her age by five years when she married her father would have had to give his permission if she was under 21. So if it was her first marriage then some false information was given to the clergy.

The SA marriage certificates do not give much more info than is on the index I have given above unlike the the VIC ones.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 16:11 GMT (UK) »
John BONHAM & Charlotte KAISER marriage:

BONHAM John single age 29yrs m. KAISER Charlotte Genever single age 22yrs 17/09/1881
Place: Trinity Church [Adelaide]; District: Ade; Symbol: A; Book/Page: 128/1062
Groom's Father: Abel BONHAM
Bride's Father: August Christie KAISER

I can't see a birth in SA or VIC for John  :-\
Perhaps you would like to check NSW & WA which are both available online  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 January 12 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If the 1884 marriage was dissolved surely the bride would next marry with that surname noted and the status noted as divorcee?  If it had been otherwise negated ...ie annulled or voided due to under age and lackof consent  etc then the parish register as well as the civil register SHould have notations and BOTH  should havebeen struck through ...

In either case the civil action would have needed an adult aged over  21 to be Emma's voice at court as she was a minor... Depending on the social influence of that adult it may  bbe that no mention was printed in the newspapers at that time

Cheers JM  It would  seem easier to simply compare the signatures on the marriage certs.than to speculate on various 20th C indexes

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 January 12 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
 :)

There are some "interesting  ::) " newspaper announcements in October 1882 for the 17 Sept 1881 BONHAM KAISER marriage mentioned by Merlin.    The family may have had words with the newspaper, for in Oct 1882 a series of announcements were made for that marriage.  It was by special licence, it was announced at least in the South Australian Register on 11 October 1882 and on 13 October 1882  and unfortunately it mentioned 17 September  BUT NOT THE YEAR so it was further announced on 14 October 1882 and the year clearly included in the announcement.   
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/43335703   14 Oct 1882
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/43326685   13 Oct 1882
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/33625035  11 Oct 1882 (notice it was at the residence of the bridegroom’s sister, John Bonham was of Norwood and Charlotte was the only daughter of August Kaiser of Stepney) 

I mention this as it is a good example of how significant it was to people in that era for all the information to be carefully considered and analysed and then re announced so that strangers reading the articles could be re-assured....  A bit like the 19thC equivalent of RChatters ....      Shhhhhhhhhh  :-X 

Trove is a fantastic online resource  ;D

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 January 12 03:06 GMT (UK) »
From Trove  ;D

Another NATT family in Sth Australia or perhaps related to Emma NATT

Charles NATT, arriving on the Constance in 1849, married in SA in 1854, and at age 77, died in Qld in 1911, with 5 sons, 3 daughters, 55 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren....

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/59036829  The Register, 20 May 1911.

Cheers,  JM