Author Topic: Jordans around Pakenham  (Read 2463 times)

Offline ajtj01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jordans around Pakenham
« on: Wednesday 18 January 12 17:21 GMT (UK) »
My research shows an unconfirmed link between the jordans in the Pakenham area and those around Leiston/Thebarton/Knoddishall area.

Can anyone confirm this

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: Jordans around Pakenham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 12 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

As you are probably aware there are a large number of Jordans' from Pakenham. There are other Jordans, though not so many from the areas you mention. Making direct links without more information wouldn't necessarily be helpful to you if they weren't the Jordans' you were looking for.

If you want to take this further, you may want to add further details.

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajtj01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
The Jordan I am particularly interested in is Abraham, born around 1733 with a location given as Sternfield, he married Barbara (King?), both died around 1808. No father is given on the records I have found so far. There is also an Abraham from the Pakenham with a birth date given as 1731

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes, I saw the Abraham from Pakenham and another from Onehouse (1735), which incidentally keeps coming up in all searches.

Some info or ideas may be assumed from the deaths.

Source, NBI:
7 Apr 1808 Abraham Jordan, aged 72, Sternfield, St Mary Magdalene, bur. That would make his birth about 1736.

22 Aug 1831 Abraham Jordan, aged 67, Sternfield, St Mary Magdalene, bur. That would make his birth about 1764. May be son of above?

10 Apr 1789 Abraham Jordan, inf., Sternfield, St Mary Magdalene, bur. In turn, may be son of above.

20 Nov 1809 Barbara Jordan, aged 73, Sternfield, St Mary Magdalene, bur. That would make her birth about 1735.

There are a number of trees on Ancestry with the same info, i.e. Abraham married a Barbara, no dates or evidence...

Is is possible that Barbara was a 2nd marriage?
There is a Mary Jordan who died 1771, Sternfield, no age on death given unfortunately; long-shot but could be the 1st wife!

Hope some of this is helpful.

Regards
Geoff

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajtj01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

I had the same ideas particularly when I looked at the fiche for Sternfield in the SRO. There was an Abraham baptism in 1765 or thereabouts, but the registers were so decayed it was impossible to get more than a name and a rough date. There was also reference to a marriage between an Abraham and a Barbara (no other discernable name) from around 1770.

I believe Barbara may have been a King and have found reference to several of that name in the 1730s to 1750s, but I find it strange that the children were all born when Barbara was in her 40s, I think we may all be looking for the wrong Barbara or indeed the wrong wife. I do agree that Barbara may be a second wife.

I did this some years ago and was told that some of the registers were going to be preserved, we have done this to some in Hampshire and more detail has been revealed, hopefully this may have happened to fill the gap, I'll check when I get back to Suffolk again. I'll keep on searching because I think we are now at the parish register and land record stage which as a landscape archaeologist  and investigator I find most interesting.

Thanks again