Author Topic: St. Joseph's School for Girls (orphanage)  (Read 30275 times)

Offline njlois

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Joseph's School for Girls (orphanage)
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 28 January 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Date of photo and name and address of studio
2nd February 1935 , Steven's Studios 20 Nelson Street Woolwich London

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 28 January 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Snap! same photo with that date and studio address of Ann and Ben Powell on two family trees at ancestry. Picture taken four days before Anastacia Fennelly married Benjamin Powell at St Peter's Woolwich. There is another photo which looks to be on their wedding day of "uncle Ben and Richard (Dick) Powell" taken 1935 which looks as if Dick was Ben's brother and best man.

Ann and Ben's son appears to be still alive, he would have been aged 9 when your mother went to America and 15 when your aunt went, so may have some anecdotal information or clues you are looking for.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 28 January 12 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry , I just noticed you had posted two messages. I only replied to last one.

T.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 28 January 12 15:29 GMT (UK) »
The trees actually have the wrong information regarding Anastasia who died Greenwich, Greater London 1973 aged 63 with the exact date of birth as Michael found for you. They have chosen another Ann Powell who died 1983 aged 80 from the GRO death indexes and decided that must be her without bothering to verify it. So, are you saying your mother's living cousin, son of Anastacia knows nothing about his mother? They must know who he is as he is named on the photo with Eileen taken 1947, of course I can't name him because of the living person rule.

T.

Offline njlois

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 28 January 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
No, the photo was attached to Anastasia on two other family trees.   The first person I contacted said she had never heard the name before.  I asked the second person if Ann and Anastasia were the same person, he said yes.  But neither of them are Ann's son.  As he is still living, contacting him will be more difficult - but I'm still trying!   After the first person said she had never heard of Anastasia, my only question to person #2 was if they were one and the same.  I have followed up with a question as to his relationship - I'll be sure to let you know!
L.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 28 January 12 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've noticed the family tree owners are on the Powell side of the family who are cousins of Eileen and her brother who in turn are your mother's cousins on the Fennelly side but someone must have a close association as they know the circumstances of Eileen's death in 1983 and that her husband and children are still alive. Eileen's married name was Smallwood, so if they have lost touch with Eileen's brother, her husband or children may know where he is as a brother-in-law and uncle. Though they will have no interest in your Fennelly ancestry, they are blood relations of all of Anastacia's descendants because she married a Powell.

Good luck,
T.

Offline njlois

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 30 January 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I received info from "Action for Children" which I believe is the organization which might hold the key to finding out where my Mom and my aunt were placed.  Their guidelines to releasing information are very strict.  Records are not released to individuals (i.e., me), but only to a social worker or some other kind of counselor.    And they will only release information if the person is deceased.  My mother's background is apparently very painful for her.   She has never and will never tell us anything.  She is still alive, but I cannot ask her questions.  I'm now 62 years old, and she has never told me anything.  It is frustrating that I will have to wait until my Mom passes away to get this info.
OK, I was just venting...
On the good side!   I was able to contact someone with whom I share a relationship.   Eileen O'Neil Crowley (if everything turn out the way the way I'm thinking) who would be the 2x great grandmother of both of us!  She's younger than I am so she doesn't know anything about the Fennellys, but it was nice to touch base with someone distantly related to me!

Offline njlois

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 20:36 GMT (UK) »

L,

The info below from Electoral Registers on the Fennelleys might give clues about the " breakup" of family ?

(Source: Newcastle Central Library. Electoral Registers- book form)
Those eligible to vote in Parliamentary Elections are listed.

Walker Ward.

1914/1915
20 East Terrace, Patrick Finley, Henry Smith
22   "          "        Walter McEldon

20 East Terrace,
Patrick Finley, Frank Finley, Martin Fitzpatrick, Henry Smith, Mary Ann Smith
22 East Terrace,
Walter McEldon

20 East Terr,
 Patrick Finley, James Finley, Henry and Mary Ann Smith
22 East Terr,
Walter and Alice McEldon

20 East Terr
Patrick, James, Frank Finley, Henry and Mary Ann  Smith
22 East Terr
Walter and Alice McEldon

20 East Terr,
Patrick, James and Frank Finley, Henry , Mary Ann and George Smith.
22 East Terr,
Walter and Alice McEldon

1928/29
20 East Terr,
James and Frank Finley, Henry and Mary Ann Smith ( no more Patrick)
22 East Terr,
Walter and Alice McEldon

1929/30
20 East Terr
James and Frank Finley, Henry and Mary Ann Smith, Ellen Lees, Annie Parkinson
22 East Terr
Walter and Alice McEldon
( by now, Alice nee Fennelly/Finley , aged c38, and Walter would have had 8 children)

1930/31. No Finley or McEldon in East Terrace.

As these registers are in Ward order, then Street alpha order. Finding the family is needle in haystack stuff !
-------------------------------------------------

Browsing in Newcastle area Trade Directories, in late 1920s, reveals only
" St Joseph's home for Aged and Infirm" , under the "Care of the Little Sisters of the Poor", Georges Rd, Newcastle.

Michael

This address, 20 East Terrace, is given on my mother's birth certificate under Column 5 - Name, surname and maiden surname of mother"  So in 1924 she must have been living with her sister Alice.  Is/was East Terrace a street in Newcastle-upon-Tyne?

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 23:03 GMT (UK) »

At the relevant time East Terrace was within the community of Walker, not within the city of Newcastle, but very close to it's boundary line.

Walker lay within the Parish of Longbenton, which for various purposes ( Civil BMD Registrations, Workhouse admin, etc) lay within the jurisdiction of Tynemouth.

Today Walker, and Longbenton are within the city of Newcastle.

By the way who registered your mother's birth ?

It is looking like that your mother's mother was only at " 50 Preston Road" to have your mother ?

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.