Author Topic: LILLICRAP/TREEVE  (Read 13579 times)

Offline Georgiana02

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LILLICRAP/TREEVE
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 22:21 GMT (UK) »
This is very interesting.

Charles Hastings Treeve was my great-grandfather's second cousin.  I would be very interested to know more about him and about his brothers and sisters.  What did they do?

I've always wondered how close Mrs Treeve was to her Impey/Knight relations.  She had a maternal aunt, Mrs Charles Fuller, who lived in Regency Square, Brighton and died in the 1860s in her 90s.  She was rich and childless.  Mrs Treeve's uncle, Robert Knight, also lived to a great age.  I was interested to see that one of the names she gave her eldest daughter was Georgiana, which was the name of her Knight first cousin, Mrs King.   

Do the Treeve family still have links with Jersey?

Lord Catherlough entailed his property in a complicated trust.  The entail was broken some 150 years ago when there was a disputed succession.  Had it not been, I would be the present tenant for life of the 7000 acres - and after my death (since I have no sons) the next heir would have been the male heir of Mrs Treeve's mother, Mrs Nicholson.  Mrs Nicholson's elder son, Maj Henry Impey, had a relationship with an Indian lady by whom he had a son.  If he had married her, that son's Anglo-Indian descendants would have been in for a nice surprise on my death!   

Offline Penryn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 February 12 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Charles and his wife Harriet Marsh Renwick arrived in Melbourne with their two sons George Renwick and James Charles in 1850. Charles went about establishing a grocers business in Lonsdale St, Melbourne. The business either failed or Charles left for the "diggings" the later probably more plausible as thousands flocked to the Victorian gold sites at this time.
Harriet died at Beechworth Hosp. Vic in 1859. Charles died at Adelong NSW in 1863. Son George born Jersey 1843 died at Liverpool NSW in 1918, no issue.

James Charles born at sea 1849 married Sarah Harvey at Beechworth Vic in 1892. James Charles died 1895 in Fitzroy Vic. They had two sons James Thomas 1893 -1942, no issue and George Henry 1894-1954, George is my paternal grandfather.

I do have further information which could go on for pages with regard to Charles Hastings and his siblings but I am only new to this forum and haven"t yet worked out how to best utilise it.

Looking at information that I do have Henrietta had maintained ties with the Impey family throughout her life.

To the best of my knowledge the Treeve family has no connections within today's Jersey.

A few years back I corresponded for a time with a distant cousin who also authored  the Knights of Barrells. He was most generous with regard to sharing info on the Knight family. You more than likely are acquainted with him too.

Over the years with the purchase of new computers and changing email addresses I have lost contact with this chap. So I am very happy to be in contact with you.

Offline Georgiana02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 February 12 09:03 GMT (UK) »
How very interesting...

Your contact will have been Arthur Carden, who gave me very interesting information that clearly he had got from you about the Impey family.  He descends from one of my great-grandfather's sisters and is a mine of information on the Knight family.

What a fascinating story.  Clearly the young Charles Hastings, married with children, had to make his own way and Australia was the place.  I had a great-great aunt on my mother's side whose husband went out to South Africa at about the same time.  We have albums of Durban and other towns in South Africa from the 1850s and 1860s which shows them to be little more than a few shacks and a main street. 

I'm sorry that his children were orphaned so young.  Who looked after them?

I would be fascinated to know what happened to Charles Hastings' siblings.  Names and dates need to be complemented by the human stories. 

I am indeed delighted to have made contact with an Australian cousin! 

With best wishes

Offline Kath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I was interested to read all this. I'm descended from Grace Treeve  who married 1791 Martin Wright at Paul, Cornwall.
I corresponded years ago with Kerrie, and Joan, ladies in Australia re. the Treeve family: are one of you Rootschatting?

Here's a link to Fred Pendlebury which has some info:

www.one-name.org/stories3.html

I didn't know about poor Amelia and Marion. I'll try to get the Impey book.

A brother of Chas. Hastings Treeve was Josiah Richard Treeve. Now he was the black sheep of the family, & disgraced himself in Australia. I think the other Aust. Treeves added an S to their name to distance themselves!

It's amazing how the Christian names "Richard Treeve" have been used through far-flung branches of the family tree. Googling that phrase is fascinating.

Kath.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Just to add a little to all of this - I've now concluded that Amelia Georgina Matilda TREEVE, mother of Matilda Frances Adelaide LILLICRAP, never actually married Robert George Adams Welsford LILLICRAP. He returned to England where he died in Plymouth in October 1850.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Penryn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath

Yes it is Joan. I have in the past corresponded with Fred and his info has been most helpful.
Josiah Richard was the son of Capt. John Treeve and Charles Hasting a son of Major Richard Treeve, they were cousins.
With regard to the Lillicrap situation how was the conclusion that they never married arrived at?

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 07:02 GMT (UK) »
No evidence of the marriage on the mainland or in Jersey - I've had Jersey Heritage searching for the marriage and I conduct a one-name study for the surname and have no trace of it. I'm hoping to be proved wrong! :-) Robert LILLICRAP's family was on Jersey in the 1840s but was originally from Devon.

Offline Kath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Dob7,
I expect you have tried local, Jersey, newspapers for marriage or birth announcements for Robert & Amelia.
Even refs. to Mr. & Mrs. Lillicrap would be useful.

Have you access to the 'Times' search?

There are refs. to Lillicrap, especially in Naval Intelligence.

Kath.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 March 12 06:57 GMT (UK) »
I have tried the major newspaper archives to locate either the marriage or birth. I haven't tried the Jersey ones due to lack of access and this is a spur line. The LILLICRAP family were well known in Naval circles due to Robert's father being a Rear Admiral, and consequently any news about them (BMD, acts of derring-do) was usually published in several places - Bristol, Hampshire, Edinburgh, Ireland, Malta, New Zealand and of course, Devon. In 1850 2 of the LILLICRAP sons died - Frederick Hart LILLICRAP aged 18 aboard HMS Tweed was reported in at least 4 publications - and Robert George Adams Welsford LILLICRAP who died in Plymouth and wasn't reported anywhere. Was he considered a black sheep?