Author Topic: William Francis Dubock BROWN  (Read 17956 times)

Offline Siddie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Francis Dubock BROWN
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 12 April 12 02:44 BST (UK) »
I am extremely interested in these scans. I am a direct descendant of James Horatio Brown, born c1826 to William Horatio Brown & Susannah. I would be very interested in anything else that may be written in the bible - according to a petition to Governor Arthur dated 27 Dec 1824 there were at that point 5 children born in the colony. We have not yet found any evidence of a 5th Australian born child at that time; it is possible that WHB is claiming as Australian born the child he bought with him from UK, Angela Patmas Brown. We know my ancestor James Horatio Brown was born Tasmania c1826 but have no official record of his birth. The births of the later children Matilda 1830 (headstone on death) and Sarah Ellen 1831 (baptism) are recorded. This is an extremely complex family tree, due in part to WHB's 3 "marriages" and also to the fact that WHB may have had some mental illness (perhaps epilepsy) which led him to make wild and conflicting claims about himself and his family. I have done extensive research on this family in the past (though little recently) and would happily share whatever I have. I am not sure how to do this - even the short summaries are some pages long.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 12 April 12 02:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Siddie

Once you have posted three times you can send Personal Messages to any RChatter.

Easiest way is to reply twice more on this thread eg "Hi"

Once you have three posts, then you can consider exchanging email addys with other descendants rather than post up long summaries at RChat.  RChat threads are easily found via Google searches as RChat is a public forum.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Siddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 12 April 12 03:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome; I know one of the people who have contributed to this post, because they kindly alerted me to it. I am not sure if the original poster has ever been in contact with me; if not, they are welcome to do so. If they care to Google "William Horatio Brown" and Kaye they will no doubt find me; the email address remains the same. Any original material, like the bible, is of course very exciting. Sadly a print of the scan did not come out very clearly but it is certainly legible down to Henry - I assume Louisa is below. As I said above, any further entries beyond these first 4 children who were baptised by Rev Youl 1 April 1823 (which is perhaps when these entries were written), would be very exciting.

The entries look to me to be in WHB's own handwriting - there are lots of examples as he wrote regular petitions and complaining letters to Govt officials. Though of course I guess to a certain extent if parents taught their children to write, they could write in the same way. (Susannah could sign her own name when she married WHB, though with nothing like the fluency of William.) The entries read WH & S Brown (William Horatio and Susannah) - the entry about H M G? Hospital Parramatta is very interesting - I assume he was employed there, probably as a clerk. He was a schoolmaster at Kissing Point during his convict stage in 1812; on his Certificate of Freedom in 1814 he was described as a "comedian" (actor) - which seems very apt, when you consider his life. His free passage back to NSW in 1816 for himself, wife Susannah and daughter Angela was granted on the basis of his schoolmaster experience.  He went to Tasmania as clerk to Rev Youl, and held various Govt positions, most of which which he subsequently lost.

Offline Siddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 12 April 12 04:04 BST (UK) »
Just saying Hi! :D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 12 April 12 04:12 BST (UK) »
So now you can notice who is currently online, because the green light under their avatar lights up when they are at RChat !

Cheers,  JM  (yours and my lights are ON at the moment, smudwhisks, garvain, Rosjan, dee ... they are offline at the moment, and you can send PMs regardless of if their light is on or off)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline maxpaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 15 April 12 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Noticed all the posts about William Francis Dubock Brown,

Iam the Great Great Granddaughter of Susannah Anabella Brown

who was born 11 January 1819 at Parramatta, NSW.

and died 23 November 1858 at Windellama NSW.

Buried 26 November 1858 at St. Batholomew's Windellama.

Susannah married Thomas Cartwright 25 July 1837  Hobart Town VDL

They were to have 10 children 5 of which were born in Tasmania

Thomas Cartwright was a son of  Rev. Robert Cartwright and Mary Boardman.

Susannah is a sister to William Francis Dubock Brown and their parents were

William Horatio Brown and Susannah Dubock. who were married 5 July 1815

St. Mary Whitechapel London.

William Horatio Brown parents were John Brown and Patmos Willis

Susannah Dubock parents were Edward Dubock and Susanna Briggs.

I hope I have been of some help.

Good to hear of you again Kaye.

Kind regards Maxpaw

Boardman Lancashire
Boland Irland and Australia
Brown Tasmania
Carter Cambridge
Cartwright Shropshire and Australia
Chatterton Linc. and Nottingham
Claxton Norfolk
Cushings Norfolk
Dubock England
Gegg Surrey and Braidwood Australia
McFarlane Argyll Scotland
Mckaig New York U.S.A and Scotland
Morris Australia
Penkethman Lancaster and Victoria Australia
Roberts Goulburn Australia
Woods Ireland and Victoria Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Francis Dubock Brown
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 09 August 15 02:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply but, I have a copy of William's Baptism certificate which states he was born in Sydney 21/1/1817. According to the records the Brown family didn't sail for Tasmania until late 1819.

Regards,
ROSJAN.

I am attaching a link to Rev Youl's parish register.   There's no mention of the place of birth for William Fran Dubock, or for Susannah Anabella, or for Henry St John, or for Louisa.  They were baptised 1 April 1823 and their parents were recorded as William Horatio and Susannah BROWN, of George Town (VDL).   

Please remember that a baptismal record rarely records the place of birth. 
https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD32-1-1-p083j2k

From Rev Youl's bio you will notice that St John's C of E, Launceston was not even being constructed in April 1823, as the foundation stone was not laid until Dec 1824.   Rev Youl moved to George Town in July 1821, so only Louisa was born AFTER Rev Youl arrived in George Town.   Perhaps William Horatio and Susannah arrived in George Town at some time after the 5 April 1821 birth of Henry St John ?
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/youl-john-2827

So, William Fran Dubock was born 21 January 1817
Susannah Anabella was born 11 January 1819
Henry St John was born 5 April 1821
Louisa was born 10 December 1822

and these four children were baptised on 1 April 1823 by Rev Youl.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Kenneth Evers

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 02:10 BST (UK) »

I am also a direct descendent of James Brown, and have had the same problems as you in "finding" him,
he married Ellen McCluskey ( an Irish Orphan ) in Sydney in 1851, one of their daughters is/was my Grandmother Mary Ann Brown ( died 1949)
Mary Ann married Robert Alfred Evers.
 my father Harold James Evers one of their sons.
In your searches have you found mention of James Cosgrove

Offline ROSJAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenneth,
Noticed your post regarding James Brown and Ellen McCluskey. I haven't really done any research on their family so I probably can't be of much assistance to you. Regarding the Cosgrove name I haven't came across it in the Brown family at all at this stage.
Regards and good luck in your research and if I find out anything I will contact you.
Rosjan.