Author Topic: Bewick house Childrens home Gloucester  (Read 7319 times)

Offline Pat Brooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bewick house Childrens home Gloucester
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi mickthebee
                      I can name a lot of the boy's that were at  Buick house Gloucester because I was one of them with my three brother's.  I have a photo taken 1950  of  15 of the boy's that stayed there. Mr & Mrs Evans were there at the time followed by Mr Edward Tanser and wife. One of the helper's Mrs Biggs went on to run a children's home at 34 Podsmead road Tuffley.
                                                                                                                        Pat   

Offline mikethebee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick thanks for your email nice to hear from you after all these years-  If I remember right you have to be about 70 -5  hope you and your brother are well and in good health!
Yes I remember little patrick brooks blond hair !! and brother Sidney RIP  he slept in same dorm as me died at work on the railway and other Mike,
Do you live local or see any of the old boys?

PATRICK I don,t know how you can send me an email on this forum?

Is there a chance you can send me a copy of the photos you have in return I will do a swop with you on sat on a serf board and in a grope when we were on holiday at Studland / Swanage beach.

I recently lost my younger brother Arthur aged 72 lived in Yeovil Somerset!  twin to David still living in Glos

Some information on Bewick house
 I visited Glos council paid money for information on the children homes "Bewick house and 30 Denmark road"
When I pressed them who ran the homes I received a letter practically denying the children's homes ever existed  also said it was classified information.
If you remember I was one of the many boys removed into a remand home approved school for stealing an apple from the celler  -  the Martins was in charge then!  Ramsey was children's welfare officer fatty lee and Mrs Martin were the helpers Mrs Biggs came after I was removed
all the best Mike R

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Welcome to RootsChat.

When you have made one more post on RootsChat you will be able to exchange private messages (PM) with the members.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Brooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike
          Thanks' for your contact details. I'm sixty-nine so the fair hair that I had went years ago.
      My memory is quite good though. The fact that you were unable to find out information at Gloucester Records doesn't surprise me. Some of the records would be of the punishments given and by whom. There would also be adoption records.  All you can find out now is from the memories of lads that were at Buick House.
                                                                    Pat     

Offline Pat Brooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike
 Tried to send email to you. Mail came back as a faulty email address
                                                                                                      pat

Offline Martyn Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have nothing to do with Bewick House, but have come across a framed photo of some lads with two adults male and female. At the bottom it says, 'Ln memory of Mr T Evans who gave himself wholeheartedly to the welfareof the boys at Bewick House... 1947-1954. I would be more than happy to pass this photo on to you if you wish?

Offline mikethebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi ya Martyn
Just a point of interest?
If you have had nothing to do with Bewick house HOW did you come by the photo?
Yes I would like the photo .
If it’s the photo I’m thinking of I’m the lad with the blond hair behind Mrs Evans
I ant got no blond hair nowadays at 80yold
Love to hear from you
All the best mike

Offline mikethebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 23:28 BST (UK) »

Hi John Townsend  
This is a nice surprise, its nearly 65 years ago I was aged 7 to 10 at Bewick house,  YES I well remember the two of you Geoffrey had a mop of blond hair a tall lad I think he went to Linden Road school.  You were dark and skinny and older than Geoff, something happened that made the home send you away “WHAT HAPPENED”  I remember the day you and Stanley left ! …  I don’t think Geoff left with you?
Do you have photos or in contact with any of the lads?
After you left I was sent to two remand homes 15 months,  then Porlock Borstal back to Kingswood 1 year Bristol to be assessed again for 3 years at the Cotswold approved school.
Are you living in or near Gloucestershire area can we meet up over a meal an a pint.
This is why I am posting on ROOTS to find out as much information and meet up with the lads at Bewick house again.
All the best mike R

hi John never got a reply back from you hope your still active love to meet up ?… you can find Our address xxxx
If you ant able to travel I would come to you
Please keep in touch
All the best everybody keep safe mike

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

It looks like it is a private message that you are quoting from, you are best to reply via the PM option to send a message back. Because this member has not contributed to this thread he will not be automatically notified of a reply.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk