Author Topic: Request lookup in 1841 census for Canewdon (ASHMAN)  (Read 1887 times)

Offline lxndr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Request lookup in 1841 census for Canewdon (ASHMAN)
« on: Thursday 12 May 05 16:51 BST (UK) »
Would really appreciate if someone with access to the 1841 census for Essex could check Canewdon for anyone with the surname of ASHMAN.  I am hoping to find a family with George and Hannah ASHMAN in it but as the name is very rare in Essex any others in the area would be of interest too.  Many thanks in advance.

Ian

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request lookup in 1841 census for Canewdon (ASHMAN)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 05 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian
Couldn't find any Ashmans in Canewdon. Only George Ashman in Essex is this one

At Aylett's Farm, Rainham
George Asman 55 Labourer
Mary Ashman 50

No Hannah. These are all the Ashmans in Essex

ASHMAN       CAROLINE       F       25       ESSEX       HERON GATE                   EAST HORNDON       ESSEX      
ASHMAN    CHARLES    M    15 OUT OF COUNTY TURNPIKE ROW    STRATFORD WEST HAM    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    CHARLES    M    20    ESSEX    BRIGHT'S FARM, GREAT          RAINHAM    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    ELIZA    F    11    ESSEX    HERON GATE EAST HORNDON    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    ELIZTH    F    15    ESSEX    EAST HORNDON OR HERON GATE          EAST HORNDON    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    EMMA    F    7    ESSEX    HERON GATE EAST HORNDON ESSEX    
ASHMAN    GEORGE    M    55    ESSEX    AYLETT'S RAINHAM    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    ISAAC    M    45    ESSEX    HERON GATE  EAST HORNDON    ESSEX 
ASHMAN    ISAAC    M    20    ESSEX    HERON GATE          EAST HORNDON    ESSEX
ASHMAN    JOHN    M    10    OUT OF COUNTY    TURNPIKE ROW    STRATFORD       WEST HAM    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    MARY    F    50    ESSEX    AYLETT'S          RAINHAM    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    MARY    F    15    ESSEX    DUNTON HALL, UPPER          DUNTON    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    REBECA    F    5    OUT OF COUNTY    TURNPIKE ROW    STRATFORD       WEST HAM    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    SARAH    F    35    ESSEX    HOPE'S GREEN          SOUTH BENFLEET    ESSEX    
ASHMAN    SUSANNAH    F    13    ESSEX    HERON GATE          EAST HORNDON    ESSEX
ASHMAN    WILLIAM    M    7    ESSEX    ROMFORD UNION WORKHOUSE          ROMFORD    ESSEX    

Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline lxndr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 May 05 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

That's brilliant, thanks very much for listing them all for me.  I have also just received an email from someone else saying "There is  a George and Hannah Ashman on it in Canewdon, with a William (not their son but Nephew I think). There is no mention of them on the Essex Index."  So (assuming this is correct) it looks like they may have been missed off the surname index.  The couple I am trying ot trace are (supposed) to have married in 1797 at Canewdon so it could be that they are both dead by 1841.  I guess I need to try and get access to the actual census images.

Best wishes,

Ian

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 05 17:48 BST (UK) »
Ian, I've been through the images for Canewdon but couldn't see any Ashmans  ??? Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline lxndr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 05 18:09 BST (UK) »
Ian, I've been through the images for Canewdon but couldn't see any Ashmans  ??? Jan ;)
Hi Jan,

Thanks once again.  It looks like my other source was mistaken.  This is proving a very hard family to trace as the children seem to scatter early on and now it looks very much like the parents may have died before the 1841 census.  I think the parish records for Canewdon will have to be the next thing to check.  Thanks for checking the census images though, that's certainly saved me a lot of time as I was thinking of trying to get the film in at the local LDS.

Best wishes,

Ian

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 05 20:18 BST (UK) »
Checked again to be sure. The family your contact thought were Ashmans are  Pickmane or Pinkmane, but at a glance could be easily be mistaken for Ashman.  :-\ ::) Jan

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline lxndr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 May 05 16:57 BST (UK) »
Checked again to be sure. The family your contact thought were Ashmans are  Pickmane or Pinkmane, but at a glance could be easily be mistaken for Ashman.  :-\ ::) Jan

Hi again Jan,

Have just heard from my contact that had originally told me that George and Hannah Ashman were in the 1841 census for Canewdon.  Their source is based on yet another source whio had sent them the following details:

George ASHMAN 68, ag lag, born in County
Hannah ASHMAN, 59, born in County
William ASHMAN, 15, born in County

Unfortunately, the key piece of information, ie the census piece and folio is unclear.   It is given as HO107/377 Book 3 ??  I'm not sure what Book 3 would represent unless it refers to the ED or to a source of transcriptions or something.  Can you make any sense out of it ?  :-\

Best wishes,

Ian

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 May 05 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again
The ref is HO107-0337 ED 4 Folio 3 Pg 3 for the family. They are indexed as Pickman and I've checked the image again for you, still think there is an e at the end but it is definitely not Ashman.  Sorry Jan ;)
Canewdon
George Pickmane 68 Ag Lab
Hannah Pickmane 59
William Pickmane 15 Ag Lab

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline lxndr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 May 05 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again
The ref is HO107-0337 ED 4 Folio 3 Pg 3 for the family. They are indexed as Pickman and I've checked the image again for you, still think there is an e at the end but it is definitely not Ashman.  Sorry Jan ;)
Canewdon
George Pickmane 68 Ag Lab
Hannah Pickmane 59
William Pickmane 15 Ag Lab

Hi Jan,

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I have to say I'm not overly surprised that it didn't turn out to be them as the information seems to have been passed on about half a dozen times and I was always a little dubious of the source.  I'll pass on the bad news to my contact and we'll get back to the drawing board  ;D

Best wishes,

Ian