Author Topic: McDonalds of Crosslee and Glasgow.  (Read 5033 times)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDonalds of Crosslee and Glasgow.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 23:52 GMT (UK) »
No parents listed on the record. I would be very doubtful this is the person, why would he back in Paisley after being in Glasgow for decades? Plus where is his family, he had a HUGE family, many children who themselves had many children, why would he of been alone?

How do you check the poor relief records?
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 00:35 GMT (UK) »
I think Sancti has a point with that 1861 record and there's really nothing else that fits.

It is puzzling, as you say Donald had a large family, but he could have been there for medical reasons.  Paisley Library hold the records:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Paisley/

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I work in Paisley, so I can check this out no problem. In that map, roughly where is this today? I'm pretty sure I drive past this road everyday.

As for Donald McDonald, I am still sceptical, he may of died in Lanarkshire, or somewhere else in Scotland. Less likely is that he emigrated, as I know many of the McDonalds from this line eventually did. I still don't know why he would of ended up back in Paisley, none of the evidence really strongly ties it to this person who died in 1861, and there were many Donald and Daniel McDonalds born in Paisley around the same time.

Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Paisley as his home parish would have had responsibility for paying any poor relief. If his family were unable to look after him then that could be a reason why he was back in Paisley. It looks like there were 2 poor houses in the area

In 1849-50, the Parish of Abbey, at the southern side of Paisley, erected a poorhouse at the south side of what is now Craw Road.

In May, 1752, the Parish of Paisley opened a Burgh poorhouse at the west side of Sneddon Street

I did find a Donald McDonald of the right age group in the Paisley poor house 1851 census but he was a soldier so I don't think it is the same Donald in 1861

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 13:28 GMT (UK) »
This is worth checking out, and I will keep this line of enquiry open. I am still very skepitcal though as the evidence doesn't really link up too well. Every record I have seen of him, except one, doesn't mention him simply as a 'Labourer'. The Donald that died in the poor house is also listed as single, which doesn't match up either, plus the other evidence tends to suggest he was alive at least until 1869.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 16:07 GMT (UK) »
What year was the poor house death you checked?

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Snacti, apologies for the late reply.

The Donald McDonald that died in the poor house died Oct 25 1861 at the Abbey poorhouse in Paisley. '65 1/2' years old, parents unknown. Single.

Offline Audie443

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 April 12 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Sorry to intrude in this search, however I wonder if you may be able to help me with one of my brick walls. I saw you have an Archibald and wonder if the puzzle pieces fit.

My 4th great grandfather was Archibald McDonald born 1822/1823 in Crosslee. I have no parents for him and wonder if your Donald & Jean may be them.  I have a marriage for Archibald on 17 May 1846 in Glasgow to Elizabeth Paton daughter of John Paton and Margaret McEwan, she was born in Paisley. I do not have a death cert for Archibald but know his death from children marriage certs and census was after 1901. The couple stayed in Glasgow mainly but were in Edinburgh during 1851 census and various sections of Glasgow thereafter.

Archibald & Elizabeth had the following children:

Margaret b. 1848  d. 1901  married William Wallace (my 3rd great grandparents)
Jane b. 1849    married William Miller
Archibald b. 1851
John b. 1853
Daniel b. 1855
Elizabeth b. 1857
Alexander b. 1860
James b. 1862
Matthew b. 1864
Withen sp??? b. 1865 (from census was illegible)

Do you think there is a connection? If so I would like to share info.

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 April 12 10:12 BST (UK) »
Don't be daft, intrude if you like! It's all about sharing information, isn't it? :)

Yes we are distantly related. I even have a copy of your 4x Great Grandfathers birth and death record online. I come from John McDonald, who was Archibald's brother. Their younger sister Jean McDonald 1828 was the last to be born at Crosslee before the next child, Donald McDonald was born in Glasgow in 1831.

Anyway, Archibald McDonald died in Glasgow, in 1907, 1st marriage to Elizabeth Paton, 2nd marriage to Mary Smith-Millar.

Happy to share any other information, you can private message me if you prefer.

This is actually my direct male line, my name is MacDonald, and right now I am sitting less than 10mins from Crosslee :)