Author Topic: Mawby - Long Lawford. A puzzle! *COMPLETED*  (Read 19484 times)

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Mawby - Long Lawford. A puzzle!
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 23 February 12 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Slipper

That is fantastic news ;D ;D

Forgive me but I had to take a look ;D

I wonder whether this is your man ...........................

1841 H0107 1137 Bk17 Dist16 F27 Pg8 - Civil Parish Rugby - Address Rugby Old Station
John Edwards 25 Not born in County - Porter

Well all the very best

Z ;D

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mawby - Long Lawford. A puzzle!
« Reply #37 on: Friday 24 February 12 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wyrlebart

I have a reasonable knowledge of Rugby Mawbys up until about 1950 but I don't know Gordon.  Maybe he wasn't from the Rugby area initially.  If you have any earlier information on him I'll be pleased to help if I can.

Hi Z

Thanks very much for info on John Edwards.  It very much sounds as if he is the man!

As an amusing aside - whilst I was waiting for the Ellen birth certificate I decided to forget the Clarkes and look at any earlier Mawbys I could find.  I looked at the marriage at Newbold of Mary Murbe and Richard Benn in 1807 and who was the witness?  You guessed it - John Clarke.  Perhaps some link will appear in the fulness of time.

Slipper
Mawby, Warwickshire: Osborne, Gloucestershire & Brixton; Porter, Woolwich; Cocksedge, Badwell Ash; Carrier, Trowbridge.

Offline diamondnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mawby - Long Lawford. A puzzle! *COMPLETED*
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 17 November 12 01:43 GMT (UK) »
I realize that this link has been completed, but my g g g grandparents were William Mawby and Elizabeth Matthews and I have read all the 17 pages of everyones thoughts and wondered if anyone can help me. 

- Did anyone find out who William Mawby's parent were?

- Could Frederick have been the son of one of William's sons, William or John and not William senior?

- Richard Mathews, 1745 was said to have married Dorothy Macwheber in 1769.  I cannot find any Macwheber's anywhere and wondered who found this and where they got this information.

- behindthefrogs wrote on Feb 10, 2012 that Elizabeth, daughter of Richard and Dorothy would have been 38 when she married William Mawby, but according to me Elizabeth's dob was 1786, which would have made the marriage date as 1824 not 1814 and William jr was born 1817, john born 1819. 

I'm a novice at this and am using findmypast.com as well as freereg, but I am at a loss to know where you find all this information.  Are there any other free websites I can use?

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 17 November 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
The information comes from the Newbold on Avon parish register.  It was put together long before such information was available on-line.  I don't have records as to which pieces of information were gathered by each individual researcher but we did at the time confirm each others conclusions.  I was mainly using the extracted entries in the IGI which of course was mainly constructed from the bishops transcripts.

Elizabeth Matthews was baptised 5 May 1776 which is consistent with her four known siblings who were baptised between 1770 and 1782 and an age of 38 at her marriage on 21 Apr 1814.  She actually had an illegitimate son Thomas who was baptised in 1809 and the fact that no further children have been identified after 1818 seems to confirm her age.

Richard (bapt 1745) who married Dorothy was the brother of my direct ancestor George (bapt 1742).

The marriage comes from the parish register but unfortunately in 1814 there was no space in the register for parents names.

I have an extensive tree for this Matthews family and no record of the name Frederick being used before the 19th century.  However there might have been a child baptised elsewhere or just missing from the register.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 17 November 12 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello diamondnes

William Mawby is my ggg grandfather also and my line goes from him through John, Alfred and William.  I have been putting information together for a long time and will be happy to help you if I can.  I don't know if you have used the familysearch website but it is well worth a look.

I don't know the parents of William Mawby and rather doubt that I will ever be able to prove it conclusively one way or another.  It is of interest that he wa literate and spelt his name 'Mauby' and as there were Maubys in Braunston at the time of his birth, I wonder if he was from there.

I am sure that Frederick was Frederick Clarke, the son of Mary Clarke.  The confusion that we unravelled in this puzzle was that Mary, although described as Mary Mawby at the time of the baptism of her daughter Ellen, was in fact Mary Clarke.  She must have had some close connection with William and Elizabeth Mawby (perhaps she lived with them) but there is no reason to believe that Frederick was the son of a Mawby.

I have never been able to find any other Macwheber.  I wonder if her name was spelt wrongly in the church records.

Regarding the age of Elizabeth, her death certificate gives her age as 69 at her death in 1847 which would take us back to 1777/78.  Ages were often a bit confused so I think the 1776 baptism is almost certainly the right one.

Hope this helps

Slipper
Mawby, Warwickshire: Osborne, Gloucestershire & Brixton; Porter, Woolwich; Cocksedge, Badwell Ash; Carrier, Trowbridge.

Offline charlie.green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 15 December 16 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I am related to the Drakeleys and Matthew s . I am a bit stuck on my Green connection. If anyone as any information on them please let me know. I have Romani on my mother's side and I think my dads side with who is mentioned as Romani too. I am gedmatch.com my number is A051214. Nais tuke
Green,Matthews,Drakeley,Lord,Measures,Taylor,Wilson,Else,Elverson,Bucknall,Swift,Patrick,Bruce,Bates,Beeby,Brown,Reed,

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 18 December 16 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Charlie

I don't think I can help you as, although I have a Matthews, I don't have any Drakeleys or Greens although I know Bathsheba Drakeley married one of the Matthews family.  Maybe if you could give some information on how much you know about your Green family then someone could help.

Slipper

Offline charlie.green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 19 December 16 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Bathsheba and William Matthews are my 4th great grandparents. My line comes down through their son William. He married Jane Pettifer. Their child Rhoda my 2nd great grandparent, married Thomas Green.I am interested in the Drakeleys and Matthew s too . Thank you
Green,Matthews,Drakeley,Lord,Measures,Taylor,Wilson,Else,Elverson,Bucknall,Swift,Patrick,Bruce,Bates,Beeby,Brown,Reed,

Offline charlie.green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 19 December 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I have down that William Matthews Sr his father was Thomas Matthews born Cornwall married Mary Liggings.