Author Topic: Patrick Murray - Old IRA Dublin Brigade ?  (Read 6575 times)

Offline sandlotball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Patrick Murray - Old IRA Dublin Brigade ?
« on: Tuesday 24 January 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm hopping there's a chance sombody may have come across this man's name in their studies.
 I've not found his name anywhere to prove or disprove involvement.  There's a strong interest in him, so please, if you've encountered his name anywhere, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share the information. Thanks.

He appears in the 1901 Census as a 23 y/o baker, living as a border at 19 Villbrook.

The 1911 Census finds him still listed as a baker, living a house away from Eamon de Valera.
• Skerries • Sandymount • Ringsend • Brooklyn

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Murray - Old IRA Dublin Brigade ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello sandlotball, this a longshot, but a number of Murray,s made Witness Statements, you could check them out to see if any of them were related.

Patrick A. Murray - Cork ( He might have moved to Cork ? )
Henry S. Murray - Dublin
Joseph Murray - Dublin

There are others from different counties, its worth a try, I will keep a lookout for the name

CSM

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello again sandlotball, on page 19 of the " Old I.R.A. Dublin Brigade " topic, a paulmur posted about his grandfather, a Seamus Murray who was a member of "A" Co.3rd Battalion and was involved in Bolands Mill, check it out and let me know how you get on.

CSM

Offline sandlotball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Much thanks CSM - it's definitely worth a shot.
If I could bother you for a link to where I can read them ?

I was wondering as well if there would have been a type of bakers union or some such thing where he might be listed ? I'm curious to know where he & another man worked & see if I recognize any names amongst fellow bakers.

I'm trying to piece together a jig-saw puzzle, but first I need the puzzle pieces !

Offline sandlotball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Old IRA Dublin Brigade - my favorite thread. You've a good memory to remember that post from a year ago ! I just went back to look at it, I remember now waiting for the Paul fellow to follow up with his info, but sadly that was his 1 & only post.

I never negate the possible family connections of a name - one of the names I originally inquired about in that thread's opening post,  as a possible cousin due to the last name, turns out to have been my father's godfather.

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 12 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello sandlotball, the W.S. can be looked at in the National Archives, Bishop Street, Dublin, if you live in or near Dublin you can call in, you need identification, passport, driving licence etc to register.

The W.S. should be on - line sometime in March of this year, keep a look out in the press or on rootschat

There is the union headquarters on the quays where Liberty Hall used to be, I can not remember the name, if there was such a union, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

CSM

Offline sandlotball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 12 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info my friend - looks like I'll be waiting till March then, Dublin's a bit far from here.

Offline old_salt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 December 12 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I saw your post. I've been looking into Pa Murray too.  Look at http://homepage.eircom.net/~corkcounty/Who's%20Who%20First.html for more info, but elsewhere there's stories of him famously meeting Stalin.  Quite a character!

How come you looked at him being in the Dublin Brigade?

Offline sandlotball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 December 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
How come you looked at him being in the Dublin Brigade?

Hi Old_Salt

I'd found Murray, as I said,  in the 1901 Census as a 23 y/o baker, living as a border at 19 Villbrook, Dublin. Bordering with him was my grandfather, also a baker & a member of 'Dev's Own'.

Finding the same Murray in the 1911 Census living next door to De Valera has made me wonder if he was involved with my grandfather in the Dublin Brigade.

The Pat 'Pa' Murray you gave me a link for was from Cork, so I don't know if it's the same man. Pa Murray sure sounds like an interesting guy though !