Author Topic: Clonmellon Comaskeys  (Read 10332 times)

Offline tickle49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clonmellon Comaskeys
« on: Wednesday 25 January 12 22:37 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, William John Cumiskey, was born in Clonmellon in 1901.  His parents were Francis Comesky (b. 1856/7) and Ann Philips who married in 1885 in Clonmellon.  Using the 1901/1911 census and the indexed parish registers on RootsIreland I've identified with reasonable certainty their other children, and also Francis' parents as Patrick Cumaskey and Margaret Dugdale (m. 1852).  Patrick & Margaret's family also included a son Patrick who married Mary Keevan/Keenan in 1884  in Clonmellon - another family listed in the 1901/1911 census in Clonmellon.  I want to establish where the third Comaskey family living in Clonmellon at that time fits in.  This was Jane Comaskey, a widow, and her children.  Jane (Lawler) married a Patrick Comaskey in 1873 in Clonmellon.  I believe all these families were related but can't find the evidence.  Can anyone suggest further research avenues?

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Clonmellon Comaskeys
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 12 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you been able to check the marriage certificate or the death certificates for Jane (Lawler) and Patrick Comaskey. There should be the parents names on the marriage certificate....
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline tickle49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 12 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions.  I haven't been able to find any civil registration record yet for this marriage or trace either Patrick or Jane's deaths.  The indexed Clonmellon parish register has been reviewed by another family member but seems very sparse.  The record for Patrick & Jane's marriage says their ages, occupations, and parents names were not recorded.  Is there any way I can access the original ie hand written registers for Clonmellon?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 12 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Historic records for the RC parish of Clonmellon are available in the National Library on Microfilm Pos. 4187. RC marriage records often dont show as much detail as civil certs.

see : Details included on a Civil Marriage Cert

I had a quick search on the BMD Index for an 1873 Jane Lawler/Patrick Comaskey marriage - but didn't see any good matches

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 12 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Which Registration District corresponded to Clonmellon?  I dont mind taking a look too, who knows 6 eyes may be better than 4!?!??!
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline tickle49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 12 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help.  I think Delvin was the relevant registration district.  Does the National Library microfilm show the original records or the Fas transcriptions?  I'm not able to get to the National Library myself at the moment but could make arrangements for a family member to do so if this is the case.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 12 21:23 GMT (UK) »
The NLI films are of the parish registers.

The registration district for Clonmellon should be Delvin, sometimes listed as Castletowndelvin    

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline patrickcarolan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
Just a wee note to the person looking for info about Jane Lawler and the Comaskey family . My gran was a Lawlor notice the o and I do remember my late dad telling me about relations in the Clonmellon area and the name CUMUSKEY .My dad who would be 90 now had a grandaunt called Jane Lawlor who is buried in an unmarked grave in Killallan graveyard and one of his uncles was buried in the same plot ,as young man I was at the funeral .I cannot put my email down but would fill you in on a lot more than what I written as I myself with a friend in Adelaide are trying to make a similar connection ,one final thing both our granddads were married twice which doesn't help.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 May 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

You are unable to open your private message from Tickle49 because as a new member you have to make another post on RootsChat to be able read your message.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk