Author Topic: where was granddad born, sunderland?  (Read 11238 times)

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where was granddad born, sunderland?
« on: Wednesday 25 January 12 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I can't find a birth record for my granddad, his name was John Aubrey Hulme,I know he was born 1st june 1901.
His parents, theophilus & Mary F Hulme were living at No 6 Havelock Lane or Terrace, Sunderland (1901 census) and john always told us he was born in Sunderland. why cant I find him? Any help to solve this prob would be much appreciated
griff

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: where was granddad born, sunderland?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 12 01:11 GMT (UK) »
The free 1911 index shows the family in Hampshire and if you use the 1911 index on GRU - his birthplace is Sunderland and his birthyear 1902 as he would be 9yrs old in 1911

http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/search.page/index/census_1911
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 12 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello carole, his marriage and death cert only confirm what he himself told us that his birth year was 1901 and there isn't a birth or baptism record for 1901 or 1902. I'm stuck  ???

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 12 03:00 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD doesn't show a birth of a John Aubrey Hulme any where, any time.  I tried John Aubrey without a surname, Aubrey by itself, Hulme by itself etc but nothing.
You aren't stuck with following his parent's etc back in the census as you have then in 1901 and the marriage of Theophilus to Mary Francis Smith was March 1/4 1886 registered at Congleton vol 8a page 353. Congleton spans the border of Cheshire and Staffordshire.

You could ask the GRO to do a search for a birth of a John Hulme Durham, with or without the Aubrey, 1901 - 1903, parents names Theophilus and Mary Smith. If they can't locate it then no charge.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 12 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Could it be that they moved from Sunderland to Southampton shortly after his birth, and never got round to registering his birth?

Stan

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
hi crisane. i have certs for theo and marys marriage, death and theo's birth ( not mary's birth though, another difficult one) and all their childrens births are easy to find, its a little frustrating not to be able to find john's, i've also done all the searches i can think of using names seperately to no avail, i think the only avenue left is to request a searh at the record office
griff

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 12 10:54 GMT (UK) »
hello stan.
i know they moved south and ended up in southampton as thats where ellaline was born 1905. there was a child born in shipley, yorkshire in 1904 but there isn't a john born between sunderland and shipley at the right time,  and mary francis would have been heavily pregnant and had 7 young children around the time of the 1901 census when i know they were in sunderland, so i dont know if they would have moved till after the birth,
griff

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 January 12 11:05 GMT (UK) »
His birth was not registered in Sunderland according to the Sunderland Registrars Index. This index is from the actual registers held by the Registrar, so is different to the GRO Indexes. http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1399

Stan

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 12 11:20 GMT (UK) »
thanks stan, i think the only way to solve it would be as crisane suggested and ask gro to do a search. i've searched using every combination of names i can think of including variations of the surname and found nothing, if no-one on here can find it then i think the gro is my last hope, i'm very grateful for the help.
griff