Author Topic: where was granddad born, sunderland?  (Read 11237 times)

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: where was granddad born, sunderland?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 January 12 20:59 GMT (UK) »
i would say that your best bet would be to contact the sunderland reg office and ask them forthe look up, the gro are not that helpful doing this sort of thing, unlike the local offices where youaremuch more likely to get an answer found

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 January 12 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree with dawnkaren, I have had contact with Sunderland Register Office in the past and I've always found them to be extremely helpful.
Email address is on this link http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1399
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 January 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Like I said he is not shown in the Sunderland Registrars Index

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 January 12 21:26 GMT (UK) »
for the price of a phone call or sending an email i would rather ask a person to do a look up, rather than relying totally on some indexes.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 January 12 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I did search the Sunderland Indexes myself, so I know he isn't there.

But mistakes can be made and there is always a remote chance that a name has been left off the index - I can't see any harm in telling them the relevant details, as far as you are aware, and asking them if they are prepared to double-check.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 January 12 21:49 GMT (UK) »
ok jenb, dawnkaren and stan i will give them a call and ask, nothing ventured as the saying goes, thank you for the suggestion. i would like to know why we cant find an answer so they might be able to enlighten me,
griff

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I also had problems tracing the birth of my grandfather.  I searched for five years or more and threatened to give up many times.

I was told that his birthdate was ** June 1900 (by only living child) in Gateshead  but could not find any record.  I sent for his merchant navy records and this had the same date of birth. As we had no idea of his mother or father we could not search from the other direction (sometimes a help).

When 1911 census was released I invested in some credits and did a search of him and his step brother (who I met when young) and found details of his mother including her place of birth and previous names.  I thought I had hit the jackpot as then I found details of her first marriage which was four years after grandad was born and her husband had the same surname as gdad was known as. 

I then started to search again and resorted to searching again and spent many hour searching every birth with the name of Charles in Gateshead. I first searched 1900 and then 1899 where I found him.

He was born in the workhouse with his mothers maiden name (which has been spelled about six different ways) on the correct date but year before so all his life he was a year older than he thought.

A lot of perseverance but I got there in the end even though I have never traced his sister so keep going I'm sure you will get there in the end

DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I also had problems tracing the birth of my grandfather.  I searched for five years or more and threatened to give up many times.

I was told that his birthdate was ** June 1900 (by only living child) in Gateshead  but could not find any record.  I sent for his merchant navy records and this had the same date of birth. As we had no idea of his mother or father we could not search from the other direction (sometimes a help).

When 1911 census was released I invested in some credits and did a search of him and his step brother (who I met when young) and found details of his mother including her place of birth and previous names.  I thought I had hit the jackpot as then I found details of her first marriage which was four years after grandad was born and her husband had the same surname as gdad was known as.  

I then resorted to searching again and spent many hour searching every birth with the name of Charles in Gateshead. I first searched 1900 and then 1899 where I found him.

He was born in the workhouse with his mothers maiden name (which has been spelled about six different ways) on the correct date but year before so all his life he was a year older than he thought.

A lot of perseverance but I got there in the end even though I have never traced his sister so keep going I'm sure you will get there in the end

DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 February 12 18:33 GMT (UK) »
hi emma, thanks for the encouragment. its the only one i had trouble with, and i have 60 plus certificates. i have the info i need now thanks to advice on here,
i knew within 18 months when john was born because of the birthdates of his siblings but i know how peoples memories can be very misleading as i found out from other lines of the family.
griff